1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Damn that’s good stuff!! Thanks

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

$10k limit? 7.12%? Shoot, Rivian just helped regular slobs turn $1000 into $17000, no strings attached.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I assume you're talking about the ones they rolled out a couple years ago (blood orange, think acai blueberry was another). Diet Coke with Lime was my go-to for a while in the aughts.

Mountain Dew is getting ridiculous with the flavors lately. I was a Livewire and Code Red addict in my younger years.

There was a period around 2001 or 2002 where everything was flavored or colored. There was purple and green (yes, I bought it) ketchup. Pepsi Blue. Dr Pepper Red, I think. 7up had a reverse flavor that was dubbed dnL, more lime than lemon, and it was fantastic.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Wish I could get into the Coke-cherry-vanilla-orange-lemon-lime stuff, but I just can't, for the same reason I suspect I can't tolerate borsch. My admittedly unsophisticated taste buds can't deal with too many flavors at one time.

Also wish I could find Minute Maid limeade in grocery stores. Olive Garden served it --- and still shows it on its menu, although no place ever has it when I ask anymore --- and I just love it. I've always thought lime was an underappreciated flavor (vis a vis lemon, for example). Used to love Dairy Queen lime milkshakes.

FileNotFound and wicked like this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Jay Powell is roiling markets today. ... Senate tesitimony, he sounded more hawkish than anticipated. ... Hinted at speeding up the taper on the bond buying at their next meeting, so they can raise rates quicker to deal with inflation.

When the variant news hit, markets started building in, "Now they have an excuse to keep spiking the punch bowl. They may even stop their tapering of the bond buying." So you started getting a rally in tech stocks and he riskiest parts of the market. He hit everyone with the exact opposite rhetoric this morning/

If he doesn't walk it back tomorrow (he's testifying again) and they actually follow through without reversing and running right back in to buy debt the way they did every time markets have had a tantrum at them pulling away since the financial crisis. ... one of last places in the world you are going to want to be gambling is on Rivian stock.

The only thing propping up bubble world is all of the liquidity. If they are really going to end it now (I'll believe it when I really see it, because we have been here before). ... pop.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

In your professional estimation… if the bubble explodes… how badly hit will the average (retirement) investor be hit vs. institutional investors?

7. The Big Ragu

Taper Tantrum TM 2.0 may be starting. Not sure. It could be an interesting few weeks.

8. The Big Ragu

Yup. What I was seeing this morning, Some of the leverage is really starting to unwind. Signs of forced selling over the last hour and a half or so.

Bitcoin and every dogshit stock with a story but no earnings. ... taking it on the chin at the moment.

9. goalmouth

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

11. goalmouth

TigerVols likes this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Once these ships are sent out from Asia, can they be rerouted elsewhere on the West Coast where the wait might be slightly reduced? I think Seattle is the other big West Coast port? Are other harbors deep enough to take these ships? Yes, I know LA's port is the biggest.

Draft saved Draft deleted