1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletic, Axios talking merger?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Mar 26, 2021.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

To be bluntly honest while also not criticizing individual writers, it's frustrating watching people with literally no beat experience get beats with the biggest sports site of all (the writers mentioned by Ragu are not the only ones). It runs counter to the whole idea of distancing yourself from the field by staffing your startup with the type of institutional knowledge that makes a yearly sub a worthwhile investment. It's a Simmons-esque approach to sports journalism and a deviation from most of The Athletic's initial flurry of hires.

SixToe and sgreenwell like this.
  2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Every day, it gets easier to end subscriptions and quit wading through shit to find a daisy or three.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree with this. Their initial hires looked to follow a path of poaching people who were well established and really good at covering their beats. They paid up to lure those people.

But they increasingly look to be handing beats to younger and presumably cheaper, inexperienced writers. And it's probably for the reasons we all imagine -- their leash on all the money they raised is running out.

We've all seen it. Like here, the NY Post has handed some choice sports beats to 23 year olds who are fresh from their college newspaper and an internship. I don't reflexively get upset about it. ... if they learn on the job quickly, and can prove they are up to the task, I am fine with it. It's really hit or miss, though. ... with a lot of misses. But they work cheaper than the reporter who has been there 25 years, and these are not businesses swimming in profits.

4. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

She’s a darling because she used to work for Deadspin.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  5. Some of The Athletic’s beat coverage for pro sports teams is lacking, I agree. It also seems like some reporters write five or six stories per week, others one to three. That’s all good and well if the one-to-three writer is writing great stuff, but mostly, it’s just OK.

That said, The Athletic’s CFB coverage is outstanding. Many of the beat writers are the best on that particular beat, and the national analysts and insiders are great, too. Never a lack of content, too, with interesting offseason projects and wall-to-wall in-season coverage that includes some good podcasts. The Athletic’s CFB coverage alone is worth the subscription cost.

6. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I thought this was an interesting Twitter thread from a veteran journalist in the MSP market who is now a former freelance writer at The Athletic. From about the fourth or fifth tweet on is really the meat of the thread as far as The Athletic is concerned.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

A touch more self-interested than I want, but important points.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Here’s the nut grafs (nut tweets?), which give an interesting insight into how things are running at The Athletic right now:

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Agree w/wicked that was pretty self-important, but also, good for him. I wouldn't have done it that way but respect to any freelancer ballsy enough to call out the overlords of sportswriting.

11. Fdufta

Fdufta Member

A freelancer “announcing” he’s not re-joining The Athletic when a) he has no clue they’re bringing freelancers back and b) let’s be honest, probably weren’t bringing him back. These kind of people are the worst.

12. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

He’s pulling a George Costanza

Draft saved Draft deleted