1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Hellbound on Netflix

South Korea is fucking nuts.

2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Seriously, look for the animated original. I love the cast, but this is a pale shadow of the original.

I love that show!

See?

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. OscarMadison

Just watched the Facts of Life half of this year's Live in Front of a Studio Audience. They seem to work best when the casts interpret the script rather than try to imitate the original actors. Probably one of the best of the bunch was Woody Harrellson's Archie Bunker in All in the Family. When the casting is not age-appropriate or the point is to try to imitate the originals, it seems cartoonish. Facts of Life had both of those things going against it. Or maybe for it? Kathryn Hahn and Ann Dowd disappeared into Jo and Mrs. Garrett. Dink, Carl, and Whatever His Name Was, played by Justin Bateman, Jon Stewart, and Wil Arnet, simpered, mugged and broke character. Guys, it wasn't cute when Carol Burnett and Harvey Korman did it. It isn't cute to see you dressed as 80s vintage teens doing the same thing.

Yeah, I KNOW Grease was originally presented this way because it was both a parody and a nostalgic romp or something. Maybe they should have updated it by having Jo run away with Blair. Ahdunno. I'm still trying to figure out who the audience for this is.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Part of it was those were not two great shows (or episodes) and the casts overperformed the material - Gary Coleman was fantastic as Arnold, The four girls from Facts of Life had good chemistry and the lack of it in the remake was quite apparent. Tootie was hilarious on the original episode, as was Jo - Beauvais didn't seemed disinterested, Hahn overacted and Aniston's hair did more acting than she did. Dowd was great as Mrs. Garrett. The other thing was "Rocky" was "rocky" because he had acne in the original, not braces.

Wonder if they could do Maude - Frances McDormand or Meryl Streep could do it justice.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. OscarMadison

I think Hahn was on point sometimes and OTT others. Aniston was so dreary! She's a great straight man (Bruce Almighty) but really doesn't carry comedy well. (Along Came Polly) Whelchel was much livelier.

6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I questioned the episode choice. I remember some vividly, but I didn't remember that one at all. And plus the preaching of the '80s doesn't really convey well to the 2020s.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Aniston was much more Rachel Green than Blair Warner.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. OscarMadison

I know I watched FoL but don't remember that episode, either. The preachy episodes made my eyes glaze over back then. I think that's why I gave Diff'rent Strokes a hard pass long before it ended.
    Durned skippeh. The final punchline almost sailed by on a cloud of vanilla...something. Which reminds me, I saw the final minute or two of Diff'rent Strokes and now want to see it for Snoop Dogg.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Blair was one of my childhood crushes, and after seeing her during the theme song, well, she's now one of my middle-age crushes too. Though I'd politely ask her not to sing again.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why does the new Sex and the City exist?

Or the new Dexter?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As more outlets adopt their own streaming platforms, the new streamers reboot classics to regenerate interest from a new generation (and the old) hoping they go digging back into the old episodes that are already paid for. I'm guessing whatever Friends cost Netflix, it paid for itself. Weird that Peacock doesn't have Friends, Paramount Plus doesn't have Yellowstone.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Paramount Plus not locking up Yellowstone was apparently a bad "miss" on their part - The show was originally commissioned before they were going to do that service, so they sold the streaming rights to NBC (Peacock) for a pittance. They do eventually revert back to Paramount, though. Friends, though, was never owned by NBC.

Draft saved Draft deleted