1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletic, Axios talking merger?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Mar 26, 2021.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

This idea of the Times saving The Athletic has always seemed flawed to me. The Times isn't even compelled to cover the New York teams.

wicked likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Athletic has more than a million subscribers who have opened their wallets for their subscriptions.

The Times is very eager to grow its digital subscribers across its products.

Those million + subscribers -- who were willing to pay something -- have value.

There aren't too many online ventures that have been able to get that many people to actually fork over money for their product.

The Athletic might be a very good fit for the Times, which would love the paying subscribers on the path of its current strategy. The Times might have ideas about how it could bundle or cross promote a sports news product with other specialized products. And depending on what they are seeing, they might think they can bring economies of scale with their operations that could squeeze some costs out.

I'm sure the sticking point is valuation. The Athletic's last capital raise was at a very high valuation that it is going to be hard to even match, let alone get significantly more the way it was being reported when they hired LionTree to find a buyer.

The Athletic probably isn't worth anything near what they are trying to get. But the people on here acting like it is worthless or hasn't accomplished something notable by growing to that many paying subscribers are clueless. At a more modest price, there would be people lined up to buy what they have built.

SFIND and sgreenwell like this.
  3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

And it's not like NYT Sports is lacking in thoughtful, high-end writers who strive to find unique angles, something I thought was once central to The Athletic's goals, although NYT's coverage of, say, the Olympics, probably stand out significantly further from the pack than does its coverage of the NFL.

I'm probably thinking about it wrong, though. Maybe The Athletic wouldn't fold into the NYT's sports department. Maybe it'd be its own thing entirely, ala how Wirecutter won't take on the NYT's review of the newest iPhone.

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Fair points, but I'm skeptical the sub boom reportedly touted by Alex Mather--80,000 via the Black Friday offer--is anything sustainable. I guess it's sustainable if most of those 80,000 forget to cancel next November. But there's an awfully big difference between the $960,000 generated by those subs over the next 12 months and the $69,120,000 that'd be generated from Dec '22-Dec' 23 if all those subs were renewed at $72/yr. I'd suspect the Times wants to see if this is sustainable and not just filling up on empty calories.

5. The Big Ragu

For sure. I'm skeptical too. Have been all along. And by all accounts they aren't bringing in enough revenue to create profitability. Which is probably why we've had more conversations on this thread about how some of us think their editorial has dropped off in spots... they seem to be trying to figure out what to concentrate on, what to save money on. Including tightening up on salaries relative to what they were paying to poach talent at first according to that story someone linked to.

But even with that, that is a lot of people paying something to subscribe. If you are one of the big media companies, which are always looking at acquisitions, there aren't too many possible targets that bring that to the table. So then the questions become: 1) Can we make it profitable, and 2) Can we get it at a more reasonable price. The bubble that brought the Athletic's valuation so high on its last capital raise may be popping in slow motion right now. So they may have missed their window of opportunity to get the kind of payday they are talking about. The time was probably a year ago. But what they have built does have value.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I hope everybody employed at The Athletic, to which I subscribe, keeps his or her job and thrives under the auspices of the NYT.
    I would find it appropriate if the hedge fund bros have to sell out to a newspaper. I know they'll laugh all the way to the bank. Again. But there will be some justice if they have to sell to an entity they aspired to put out of business.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

BYH, it would be $5.8 million if all 80,000 renewed next year at $72, not $69 million.

8. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

The NYT has a very strong sense of its own identity/quality/values and I would think one issue for them would be maintaining editorial control over something as sprawling as The Athletic—even recognizing that The Athletic, from what I've seen, is itself a high-quality operation with a lot of smart and ambitious people working for it.

To me a gambling company is still the partner that makes the most sense for the Athletic, given the breadth of their coverage and their base of subscribers.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  10. The Big Ragu

Yeah, everything about this conversation is moot if they don't really have the number of subscribers we all have been working with or their renewal rates aren't good.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Didn't Amico do some work for the Athletic, or am I making this up? That affects how I feel about this piece.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

The fact that it’s from Outkick affects how I feel. Ginning up contempt for other media is a part of the business model.

Draft saved Draft deleted