1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I don’t know. A third party?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Beginning in at least 2003, Bender’s firm has also compiled Trump’s “statements of personal financial condition” that the future president circulated among journalists and others to brag about his finances.

The documents listed Trump’s business assets but frequently contained inflated figures, such as claiming more home lots or acres or office floors than his properties actually had, while omitting some liabilities, such as bank debts, according to copies of the documents.

Bender was questioned in court proceedings about those statements as part of Trump’s suit against journalist Timothy O’Brien. Asked by a defense attorney whether Trump’s 2003 statements were “subjective” or not, Bender said that the accountants did not audit these numbers — they took Trump’s assertions about the values of his properties and wrote them up, without checking to see if they matched reality.​

That seems like an oversight, at best.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

They want to burn it down for this dork.
    Never forget, is right.

[​IMG]

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Mr. Chairman -- I would like to verify the witness's statement. For years now a growing number of my constituents have been of Italian decent -- and I have come to know them well. They have honored me with their support and with their friendship. Indeed I can proudly say some of my very best friends are Italian-Americans. However, Mr. Chairman, at this time very unfortunately I have to leave these proceedings in order to preside over a very important committee of my own committee. But before I leave I do want to say this. These hearings on the Mafia are in no way what-so-ever a slur upon the great Italian people. Because I can state from my own knowledge and experience -- that Italian-Americans are among the most loyal -- most law-abiding -- patriotic, hard working American citizens in this land. And it would be a shame. Mr. Chairman if we allowed a few rotten apples to bring a bad name to the whole barrel. Because from the time of the great Christopher Columbus up through the time of Enrico Fermi right up to the present day -- Italian-Americans have been pioneers in building and defending our great nation. They are the soil o' the earth and one of the backbones of this country

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

LOCK THEM THE FUCK UP!

heyabbott likes this.
  7. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

This is where I thought the supposed grown-ups in the GOP would have thought to cut bait immediately after 1/6. Join the impeachment. Convict, Let Pence finish the term. Acknowledge Biden as president. Move on. And put the GQPs in office down the road and give them little or no oxygen until they're willing to govern the right way.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

There are no grown ups left. They sold out for THAT fucking guy and short-term power that they’re currently tying to make it impossible for them to ever lose. They’re damn close to making it happen.

I’m more angry about Jan. 6 than I’ve ever been. If trump and his band of traitorous pig fuckers aren’t held accountable, it’s time for this American experiment to end.

We tried. It was a good run. But one political party has given up on facts and truth. And no longer operates in reality. They can go their way, the rest of us who actually believe in this country will go our way.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

DC Sues Proud Boys, Oath Keepers Over Jan. 6 Attack

I mentioned this upstream. D.C. is suing the Oathkeepers and Proud Boys for organizing the 1/6 attack. They're suing for damages related to the cost of the rally and also for damages and medical costs incurred by the District and Capitol police.

The District of Columbia has filed a civil lawsuit seeking harsh financial penalties against far-right groups Proud Boys and Oath Keepers over their role in the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol by supporters of former President Donald Trump.

The suit, filed Tuesday in federal court, also names dozens of the groups' senior members, many of whom already face criminal charges for taking part in the violent attack on the Capitol building while Congress was meeting to certify the 2020 election results.

Karl Racine, Washington's attorney general, said the suit seeks compensation for damages to the District of Columbia and to inflict maximum financial damage on the groups responsible.

Our intent is to hold these violent mobsters and violent hate groups accountable and to get every penny of damage we can,” Racine said. “If it so happens that we bankrupt them, then that's a good day.”

There was no immediate response to emails sent to the groups seeking comment.

The lawsuit cites as its basis a post-Civil War 1871 law known as the Ku Klux Klan Act.

We’re using the Ku Klux Klan Act and other laws to absolutely bring as much financial pain -- hit them in the pocket -- as possible,” Racine said.

A similar tactic was used to secure a $26 million verdict last month against white supremacist groups and individuals responsible for organizing the violent 2017 Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, in which one person was killed after a man plowed his car into a group of counter-protesters.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Kato-
    I thought that day it was the most terrible moment for the country that I've seen in my lifetime.

Liz Cheney has some dog in her. I have yuge respect for her that I did not have a month ago. So I am choosing to put my full faith in her for the time being.

OscarMadison and Kato like this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's not the leaders, it's the followers. About 40 percent of this country, a majority of white people and a large majority of white men, want a government that will give them rights and deny them to those aren't like them. Unless those people are directly confronted, told their thought will not stand, and are subject to sanctions (weapons confiscation would be a very good start), the people at the top of the Republican party might change, but the party won't. IMO Trump should be hauled out of Mar-a-Lago, beheaded on the Capitol steps, and the head put on a pike to rest there forever, a reminder as to the fate of traitors. Don't kid yourselves. If these people gain power, their eventual goal is the death of their enemies. Might as well strike first.

OscarMadison and cyclingwriter2 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted