1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Based on my experiences from around when I was in college, there are a couple forces at work here.

Let's lay aside the divide between the social stances of church hierarchy and the rank and file, not because it's not a major issue but because it's been growing for 50+ years. Second, there has been a concerted effort, at least in the Catholic circles I'm aware of, that if they can't 'clean up' the rank and file in the pews, they can 'conservatize' the next generation from the top down. When I got to college (early 2000s), the Catholic campus ministry was known for being fairly progressive, including women in speaking leadership roles. By the time I graduated, thanks to a change of bishops, it was being actively remade into a priest-recruitment program. My peer group from that time produced two priests, one of whom has already been shoved out of a parish for his traditionalist views clashing with the congregation. The other, who I always thought was a pretty good guy, tends to conceal his politics much better but has spent most of the last year in Rome doing continuing ed. I don't know if that's reflective of a particular track or not, but it doesn't exactly seem like the kind of place to meet 'normal' Catholics.

I Should Coco likes this.
  2. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Even the Pope knows the Church is faltering. He recently made comments bemoaning the plunging birthrate in Italy. Tragedy, he called it.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

He’s such a schmeck.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

And her boss is well on his way to re-election

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

There’s at least a 60 percent chance that Cawthorn was targeted by a Russian honeypot operation.

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

DeSantis--Exactly like Fat Orange Hitler, only without the charm.

9. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Lol. People keep saying this, but he is wildly popular. He will win Florida in a landslide when he reruns for Governor. And if he's not president in 2024 there's a very good chance he'll be president in 2028. And he's worse than Trump because he's a little bit smarter. And just as fascist.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

lakefront, OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not to be confused with ...

upload_2021-12-27_15-41-6.jpeg

OscarMadison and Alma like this.
  12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I'll just say that where I sit, Ronnie boy ain’t on anyone’s radar as a serious presidential candidate. You have to at least LOOK human, and he fails that miserably. Plus, he’s a dick.

Draft saved Draft deleted