1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Just about all of the seasonal resets come from the top down, as well as which items go on clearance at most retail stores. Inventory is also mostly automated — the system automatically places an order for widgets at the DC when you sell down to a certain number of widgets.

My biggest tell of a badly-managed store is aisles that aren't zoned and product is strewn all over the place.

OscarMadison and sgreenwell like this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It’s still almost symphonic how the parts fit together. I don’t expect there to be perfection at the local dollar store, but it would be nice if they zoned on occasion. Then again they’re probably being paid $12/hour, if that, so…

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Twirling Time

"A time for moanin' is a time for zonin'."

OscarMadison and wicked like this.
  4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Is “zoning” the term most stores use for organizing shelves and pulling things forward? When I stocked at Kroger it was called “conditioning.” I’ve never worked retail other than that.

It seemed so automated now that I cannot believe a human being was once responsible for ordering that amount of stuff. It’s mind-boggling.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Twirling Time

"Front-facing" or "front-and-facing" is the same deal.

OscarMadison and Hermes like this.
  6. Twirling Time

My first job was with a small drug store where they kept a 3 x 5 card for every item on the shelf. We used to "run cards" and if something was out or low, we'd pull the card. Shipments came from Memphis of all places, probably from some outfit FedEx eventually bought out.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I worked at Target for a few months when I was between high school and college. For part of that I was the guy in the back helping to do the receiving. So many moving parts…

8. Twirling Time

The store receiver was the Sergeant Major of the store. You didn't fuck with him (or usually, her).

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

AKA a "Continuous Review" system with a predetermined "Reorder Point." How the latter is determined (in a very simplified setting) will occupy 75 minutes of my young charges' time in early March of 2022. Nine out of ten will doze off.

Hermes likes this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Why did I start hearing “Ballad of the Green Berets” in my head?

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

These men (generically labeled) are not "America's best" ...

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted