1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

My grandma buried two husbands and two sons, including my dad, before she died at 90.

maumann likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

NASCAR has scheduled a test of the new car on the repaved Atlanta track for Jan. 6. I haven't been to a race in 10 years but I'm envious of the people who have credentials for that. It'd be fun to see if they might top 200 mph.

EDIT: Being a Goodyear test, they'll bring their crappiest hard compound tires so they don't get blamed for a shit-ton of blowouts and tread failures.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    Driftwood and garrow like this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Bill Elliot scoffs.

wicked and maumann like this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

HA! Someone has hacked the AMS Wikipedia page. It shows the fastest qualifying lap done by a "Breton Roussel," who appears to be a Providence, R.I., gastroenterologist.

The actual stock car record is Geoff Bodine's 197.478 mph in 1997, the last time they repaved the place (not counting CART/IRL).

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I think Bob lives for this shit … but this might provide some insight as to why Andrew Murstein suddenly bailed out of NASCAR.

maumann likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I want to cut him *some* slack — because getting sponsors for a smaller team in a second-tier series that gets small crowds in the stands and small ratings must be tough. But I can’t.

At least it’s not Matt DiBenedetto hanging out with the TPUSA folk and offering up the “OK” sign. He nuked his career, at least for a few months.

maumann likes this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Now NASCAR is saying maybe not on the LGBcoin sponsorship. Good. If it bans other sponsorship and imagery, this should be, too.
    Further, one story said Brown had this deal in the works for a month, but just the other day he was crying about the whole deal hurting him and sponsors were scarce.
    Somebody is a liar.

wicked likes this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Driftwood likes this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Never been to a NASCAR race but once upon a time I wanted to make it Talladega or Bristol one day. Now I wouldn’t touch it with a 39.5-foot pole.

Driftwood likes this.
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

About my only semi-regret from my racin' coverage days was not getting to Bristol in its prime; I didn't travel much for Nascar but should have figured out a way. Now I'd rather just take a tour on a random day if I ever pass near there (and if they have tours), rather than see a race at 25 percent capacity and just be sad.

Driftwood and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted