1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Volt a Failure - GM to Layoff 1,300

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 2, 2012.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Not only an idiot, she’s a liar. Backup cameras are designed specifically to show drivers of large vehicles what might be behind and lower than they are, such as toys or kids in a driveway. She didn’t not see you. She was just not paying attention.

maumann and Mngwa like this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

What model year?

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

They also beep like hell.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Either way, her back up lights lit up and here she came. No time to slap it into reverse before she was on my hood. Scared hell out of me.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

She needs to be buying you a new Miata. I’d be pissed off about that, too.

6. Neutral Corner

This was several years ago. I got a payment, but there was no way to replace it properly. I had looked for six months before I bought that one, because the guy who owned it had done a number of tasteful mods. I drove to Tennessee to get it. I got a newer one with lower miles, but the wrecked one was much the better of the two.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

OH NO!! I just got my 07 power buffed and the oxidation is removed and looks brand new, that’s a huge bummer. Hope you find an adequate replacement.

8. Neutral Corner

No, no, no. That one was the third of the five we've owned, and this was I dunno, eight or nine years ago now. I now drive a '99 10th Anniversary Edition that I flat love. The one that got backed over was a '97 M Edition, supercharged. The suspension was tuned just right and the blower gave it a lot more low end torque than was reasonable out of a 1.8 liter street Miata. It was a sweet ride.

FileNotFound and Hermes like this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This. Is. Awesome. And I now have a mancrush on your dad.

maumann likes this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The motorhome's backup camera is awesome for parking. But I find the side-view cameras that come on when changing lanes are mostly redundant because I have to look at a screen in the middle of the dash, which really affects my ability to see anything out of the corners of my eyes -- field of vision.

Like someone driving a semi, I can see more with the oversized mirrors (with perhaps the exception of the blind spot by the right rear tire). In fact, I drive both passenger cars with the side mirrors now instead of glancing over my shoulder. I find I've got more spatial awareness that way, plus don't have that anxious moment when I'm not able to see what's in front of me.

Hermes likes this.
  11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I learned a lot by driving a box truck for a furniture company when I was in college. Always used the side mirrors when reversing. But, I will say the backup camera is a nice safety feature. If it’s not standard on all vehicle makes and models by now, it should be.

maumann and sgreenwell like this.
  12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I still miss the front and back mirrors I had on the USPS truck - made lining up with a parking spot so much easier, once you got the hang of it.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted