1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

In any supermarket I’ve been in, the formula is behind a locked case and you need a manager with a key to open it.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

Hermes likes this.
  6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

What a stupid tweet (but I repeat myself). The people stealing the formula aren't the people who're consuming it.

The Baby-Formula Crime Ring (Published 2018)

Also ... that Twitter-er is relating a scene in Canada.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I’d be willing to bet 95% of people “stealing to feed their babies” have cable TV, haven’t missed their own meals ever, and have costly vices.
    Even the reddest of red-states have child nutrition programs.
    This is such a bullshit take to justify people’s actions and poor life choices.

8. The Big Ragu

The baby formula theft thing has been going on for a decade, at least. One of the retail trade associations is constantly pointing out that it is the most stolen item from stores. It's not just a U.S. thing, it's been a worldwide phenomenon for years and years. They resell the cans online. The product has a relatively small footprint, but it fetches decent money. Drug dealers can even cut heroin or meth with the powder when their supplies are running low. Just about every supermarket, drug store, etc. locks that stuff up or else it would walk out the door.

9. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

This. In fact, heroin, cocaine and similar drugs are routinely diluted with baby formula, usually cutting the product to a fraction of its full potency. It's part of the process of distributing from wholesale to retail. If you're trafficking drugs by the kilo, why would you have qualms about shoplifting -- or having stooges shoplift for you?

Baby formula is locked up for the same reason pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) is locked up. Both are products used to manufacture or process drugs. I can't find any supporting data, but it stands to reason that a lot more stolen baby formuls is consumed by the drug trade than by infants.

Hermes, Mngwa and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I think there is also a market for it in certain segments of the country where they can buy it as baby formula much cheaper from someone who stole it than from their stores.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

If you’re moving any sort of weight, any smart distributor (they’re way past dealers) have many layers between them and the actual street sale. Sort of like in Godfather ll, the Family has a lot of buffets.

12. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Sure, but a kilo is no weight at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted