1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In light of the evidence of post-Chernobyl thyroid cancer, researchers mounted a major effort to screen children in the area around Fukushima. Year after year, the numbers steadily ratcheted up, eventually reaching twenty times normal levels. (As with thyroid cancer in Belarus, officials from UN agencies claimed the rise in cases was merely the result of intensified screening.) Meanwhile, local authorities began a campaign to discourage children from getting screened, advising them of “the right not to know.” The campaign had some success, and the number of participating children dropped. Not coincidentally, from 2016 on, the number of reported child thyroid cases started to decline.

“The right not to know” about the effects of nuclear power is currently embraced far beyond Fukushima. In the face of escalating alarm about climate change, the siren song of “clean and affordable and reliable” power finds an audience eager to overlook a business model that is dependent on state support and often greased with corruption; failed experiments now hailed as “innovative”; a pattern of artful disinformation; and a trail of poison from accidents and leaks (not to mention the 95,000 tons of radioactive waste currently stored at reactor sites with nowhere to go) that will affect generations yet unborn. Arguments by proponents of renewables that wind, solar, and geothermal power can fill the gap on their own have found little traction with policymakers. Ignoring history, we may be condemned to repeat it. Bill Gates has bet a billion dollars on that.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

She’s also vaccinated (I’m assuming boosted as well), and it appears lunch was outside. So, I don’t see what the BFD is.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You plop the Founding Fathers in America today, and they'll be in awe (98% very positive awe).

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And apologies because I'm a terrible person, but whenever I see Madison Cawthorn, I think of this guy:

9. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

10. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Coming to the big screen this year...Upcoming Events | Fathom Events
    carry on

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

lakefront and OscarMadison like this.
  12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Easily so, and that's clearing a very high bar.

Draft saved Draft deleted