1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletic, Axios talking merger?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Mar 26, 2021.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I wonder if the NYT will start selling advertising. I would think so.

I also wonder how much the NYT will be willing to interface with sports gaming. Will the new owners publish a lot of articles discussing spreads and best bets? I would think there would be money in having links t0 a sports gaming site embedded in articles.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

They'll have to sell ads. Who would pay that much to leave everything as-is and not expect a return?

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

From the comments I read on The Athletic for the announcement story, there seems to be considerable overlap between the people mad that it will be run by the woke liberal cucks of the NYT and mad that the sellers are committing an act of capitalism.

garrow likes this.
  5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The New York Times company has said that they will run the editorial operations of the Athletic separately to ensure that each periodical can maintain its separate identity. I hope the owners of Jack in the Box follow the example of the NYT management. Losing Del Taco would be a tragedy for the affected communities.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I never saw the story about this on The Athletic site. Can anybody tell me what I've done wrong?

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

9. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Based on the comments from prominent Athletic folks, there definitely seems to be some assurances to readers being made that it won't have the political slant of the NYT, which is hilarious since it's a centrist publication if anything. Also have to imagine the bulk of Athletic subscribers are college football fans who live in red states.

10. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

I've heard part of the sales terms is The Athletic won't be forced to let go of anyone, but I wonder how long that will be in effect and where it will be in the fine print of the sales terms once everything is finalized?

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

DERRR NEW YORK TIMES IS A LIBERAL RAG, say idiots who clearly haven't paid any attention to Maggie H. humanizing/normalizing the previous guy.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I don't think politics plays into it for Maggie. She's an equal opportunity access merchant.

Draft saved Draft deleted