1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Driving Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Nov 14, 2021.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Kinda driving; so had the lovely experience of finding and buying a used car for my 20 yr old this weekend. Totally inflated market but it is what it is, so I said deal with it. (Whereas, I just got the available hand-me-down when I got my first car, my wife said "let's buy him something safe and will last" so that was a resounding NO on my 15yr old G35.) Found something mildly reasonable at local Honda dealership (it was a Toyota Corolla hatchback) and ready to pay all cash. Very nice people, but damn, after the test drive, had to wait, hold on, 2.5 HOURS! to sign and pay. That was painful. Was ready to walk, but given the market, couldn't do it.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Had to be a replica, as Azrael pointed out. That's burnt fiberglass.

Engine likely caught fire ... the engine pans on those were known to get hot. Could easily have caused this.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Still can't believe all the empty car dealerships in my town (and surely yours too) and haven't seen any good stories about how/when this computer chip shortage gets remedied. We bought a new car in September and had to wait a month for delivery, the dealership said if we bought that same car now we'd be waiting until May.

4. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

I ordered a Ford Ranger in February and took delivery in July ... and that was before the vaunted chip shortage was in the news.

That said ... I ordered from a small-town dealer that is not part of a chain. The salesman who took the order retired that spring, and his nephew finished up the deal. Paperwork at closing took no more than 45 minutes. No pitches for paint sealer or fabric protector. The customer pool is limited, so they want you to leave happy, not like you've been beaten down.

Moreover, the Internet has forced these country dealers to be competitive on price. I don't think I could have done any better in the big city.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was at this Jeep near the end of this morning's walk as the owner was walking toward it.

Told her about this photo and how some friends online enjoyed the fact there's a Nole here in L.A.

She's blonde and about as cute as cute gets. She smiled and said "I graduated from there last year."

Annnnnnd scene.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That’s such a LA story. Niceeeeeee!!

7. Songbird

At the end of this morning's walk ... a Datsun 210. And in great shape. Can't believe one of these is around in 2022.

20220114_071034 (2).jpg

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

A friend of mine had almost the exact same car. Called it "Colonel Mustard."

Songbird likes this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Only thing to make this better would be the old black and gold license plates (though the blue and gold are solid).

Songbird likes this.
  10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I just had the worst experience of solar blindness. About six miles on a highway and I missed my exit because of it. Ending driving in a circle, adding to the shit.

11. Songbird

Midway through this morning's walk, Sawyer Street just off La Cienega, and saw this sweet girl.

I don't think I've ever sat in a Mustang let alone driven one, something I've always wanted to do.

Anyone here own or driven an old school Mustang? What's it like?

20220115_065944.jpg

Near the end of the walk I saw this and realized just how bad Ford ruined the Mustang.

It looks puffy and gross like Wayne Newton in the '90s.

20220115_073634.jpg

20220115_073626 (1).jpg

The video for Desert Moon would not have worked without the old school convertible Mustang.

Although I do not condone the drinking and driving.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted