1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I allegedly have access to Netflix, my first premium channel/streaming service. Where should I start my binge?

I watch lots of police procedurals and medical dramas, wedding planning and girly dress-up stuff, and competition cooking shows. Chances are, I haven't seen whatever movie you're suggesting.

2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Schitt's Creek, the Crown

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Procedurals - All of Criminal Minds is on there, if you haven't seen that yet. That'll fill up about a year of your time. ;) I love Teenage Bounty Hunters, which is an under the radar show, but unfortunately, it only got one reason. (It's also pretty racy, so don't watch with kids in the room.)

Wedding planning - The Wedding Coach got a solid C+, B- from my wife and I. Half-hour episodes, with a comedienne helping couples plan their weddings and navigate tricky situations. Did not get a season two, so I think we're the only ones who watched it.

Competition cooking shows - The Great British Baking Show is very sincere, and excellent. Nailed It with Nicole Byer is a spoof of the entire genre and hilarious.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

British crime dramas:
    Bloodlands
    Shetland
    Unforgotten
    Endeavor
    Foyle’s War
    Line of Duty
    Inspector George Gently
    Fortitude
    River

Start with Line of Duty, Bloodlands and Endeavour.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Lasso is a main character who is so over the top in a character trait that the trait drives the plot lines. The secondary characters are normal in their actions in Lasso, but Ted is the one that drives everything.

Lasso also acts this way due to the horrific trauma he suffered as a teenager. True magic in the writing would be his character acting more “normal” by the end of the series once he better deals with his trauma.

Gutter likes this.
  6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I definitely recommend the Crown. Stranger Things is fun too.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Mindhunter - both seasons

There are a lot of foreign language police shows that are great.

Lupin

Rotten Tomatoes usually is really accurate on these series.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I've watched a few episodes of Foyle's War, it's an interesting premise.

I would add:
    Peaky Blinders
    Lupin (French, but still very good)
    Top Boy
    Who Killed Malcom X (not a procedural per se, but still good)

And of course, Squid Game.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was repetitive. What I found worst was the different tones. Was it a teen drama, a meta joke about the 80's, or a darker drama about the adults? Any of the three could be fine, but watching them all together sucks.

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I disagree. Watching all 3 together makes it palatable for all the sometimes silliness. I like the layers. If it was only one of the 3 I think I’d lose interest pretty quickly

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I just found the shifts in tone to be too jerky for the viewer. It distracted from watching it. The show couldn't meld the different tones.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Queen's Gambit

swingline, HanSenSE and sgreenwell like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted