1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Oh, not only that … he was already pretty sure it wasn’t going to work out.

In the process, he lost the sponsor he had when he got his first win last fall.

Post from the Facebook video linked above:

For Immediate Release: Press Release regarding Brandon Brown and NASCAR For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Vic Reynolds I am the Co-Founder and Vice president of the Original Larry’s Hard Lemonade Brewing Company.

Recently, there has been a lot of news regarding Brandonbilt Motorsports. Unfortunately, as of late, the news has been negative. I’d like to address this. First, I’d like to say Brandon Brown is an incredible human being and the Original Larry’s Hard Lemonade Brewing Company has enjoyed a 3-year relationship with his race team.

On October 2nd at Talladega Super Speedway, Brandon Brown won his first race in the number 68 Original Larry’s Hard Lemonade Chevrolet. The race was an extremely important win for Brandon, the Original Larry’s Hard Lemonade Brewing Company, and all the hard-working small businesses who have supported him for the last few years.

Unfortunately, the win was overshadowed politically and instead of becoming a time of celebration, I believe it became a season of pressure for Brandonbilt Motor Sports. Unfortunately, the pressure may have put Brandon’s race team in a position where mistakes may have been made in choosing a new sponsor instead of sticking with the companies that got him to victory lane. And for this reason, I don’t blame Brandon. I truly believe in my heart that if he had the opportunity, he would be with us and this would be a different announcement.

A wise man once told me that all money is not good money. Over the years I’ve learned that you don’t have to be blood to be family. The Original Larry’s Hard Lemonade Brewing Company will continue to build upon its long-standing relationship with NASCAR. With regards to Brandon Brown, he will always be my brother.​

Apparently the guy behind the crypto“currency” had the bright idea to resubmit the sponsorship to the NASCAR office over the holiday week to someone who ordinarily wouldn’t be in that approval chain. I feel like the only reason the guy behind the crypto did any of this was to build PR for his brand without a care about how it would impact Brandon Brown’s ability to make a living. Someone should have explained Rich Energy to Brandon Brown.

wicked and Driftwood like this.
  2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I have just remembered one of my biggest peeves: “For those of you who don’t know me, I am so-and-so.”
    OK, but what about those of us who do know you?

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Let’s check in on the Chili Bowl Nationals in Tulsa, where Chase Elliott got some serious air.

Current flip count for the week: 62.

It’s on MAVTV, if you have that on your cable grid.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Brandon Brown is playing the victim card.

We are not talking about some backwoods kid who didn't finish eighth grade. He has a college degree — in, of all things, marketing.

I understand that this deal sounds tempting, but when it's too good to be true, it is.

I'd expect him to be a little more savvy.

--

Also I saw a few weeks back that flosports got the streaming rights to the NASCAR local series. Not sure if that will help or hurt viewership vs. Trackpass.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I have two thoughts on Brown concerning the events:

1. I hate it for him that his first win was completely overshadowed by a bunch of a'holes at Talladega.
    2. He should have known better than to take the crypto deal for many reasons.

maumann and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

And, apparently, drivers and teams are lacking editors like many newsrooms these days.

Also, his attempt at playing the victim is not doing him any favors.

playthrough likes this.
  7. Driftwood

I was just watching a replay of the '88 Daytona 500.
    Buddies Earnhardt and Bonnett were battling for the lead.
    Sad they were both killed at the track in the coming years.

maumann likes this.
  8. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

To me, 1988 had the best looking cars. The new GM cars (Pontiac Grand Prix, Buick Regal, Olds Cutlass Supreme) all looked slick, the 1987-88 Ford T-bird was a great body style, and the Monte Carlo Aerocoupe was a badass design. Plus some of those paint schemes: the start of the Goodwrench ride (with 1988-only silver #3), the Tide and Folgers Aerocoupes, Davey Allison's original Havoline scheme, and the Miller High Life paint scheme was one of my favorite all-time whether it be on Bobby Allison's Buick, Danny Sullivan's Indy Car, a Porsche 962, or a NHRA dragster.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Rolex 24 is next week.
    Clash is in two weeks.
    500 is in four weeks.

How the mighty have fallen: NASCAR can’t get its Hall of Fame night live on cable. (It was on Peacock.) In fairness it might’ve been tape delayed on Speed in the past.

Driftwood and maumann like this.
  10. Driftwood

I was a HUUUUGE Davey Allison fan. I liked the early Havoline car. The 1990 version all black with gold numbers was sweet. It would be hard for me to go against the 92-93 red number car, though.

FileNotFound and maumann like this.
  11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Was it offered to networks in stages?

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

With the Clash at the Coliseum, what is the expected top speed on a quartermile oval? 50 to 60 mph? Are we talking a Richmond type deal?

Draft saved Draft deleted