1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

When I posted earlier, we were near the session lows. When I said it might be short-term capitulation, it was because what I was watching had the feel of a washout finally.

With the selling we saw last week, the short-term oversold conditions using any number of indicators were really extreme today. It doesn't necessarily ever mean that things are going to bounce, but with the Fed meeting finishing on Wednesday, the catalyst for something wasn't there today. Nobody wanted to take a price dump too far, only to have the Fed pivot yet again (i.e. -- panic) on Wednesday and see the S&P up 300 points on the euphoria and a short squeeze.

The difference now, like I said, is a CPI that was running @ 7 percent year over year last time. If they do the right thing and tighten this year, it's not going to be pretty for risk assets. And if they don't tighten enough out of fear of a credit crisis because of the mess they have created, it may not even have the effect of bringing the price inflation down. The trillions of dollars of mispriced debt that depends on negative real yields that they are responsible for has serious financial stability implications. Take away the schemes to beat down market forces and suppress rates and I don't want to think about what we might see in terms of defaults.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It’s not personal, only business:

Apology being worked on this minute, I’m sure.

3. TheSportsPredictor

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Wow. There's a column that should have been spiked as soon as she hit send. Unless the op-ed editor just decided to let it run and watch the carnage from a safe vantage point.

I don't even have words for how terrible that was. And the fact that she's still defending it under the delusion that "people ought to go get a better job" is so skewed that she can't tell her ass from a hole in the ground. And who the hell gives a wooden nickel that her dad sold tires?

She definitely puts the self in self-serving.

Damn uppity poor grocery workers! How dare you want better working conditions when some of us have to buy milk!

OscarMadison and wicked like this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

LOL

363D57EE-A411-4E79-A8E3-0136B84CFEFA.png

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Make Jackrocks Great Again

7. The Big Ragu

This was Mohamed El-Erian yesterday morning, actually before the roller coaster day.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. The Big Ragu

Bad news for Michigan taxpayers. The $824 million in "incentives" they gave to GM (and LG), includes a direct $600 million cash payment subsidy.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's a bone stupid column because, hey, she went into a grocery store and bought some stuff, and turned that into a treatise against the existence of unions.

I saw headline and thought "oh, the self-pitying scab worker." Not even that. It's basically the guy who watched Sean Payton QB the Bears in 87 and needed to justify that minor, meaningless decision. (One reason I have never cared for Payton tho.)

maumann likes this.
  12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A treatise in which the word "union" appears 3 times ...

Draft saved Draft deleted