1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

So-called "shopping goods" have been around forever. I think what's happened is that online shopping has led to an expansion of the category and therefore more types of retail destinations having to factor it in.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The thing that gets a lot of people about Walmart, especially a lot of people who work there, is that it is, in fact, so big, and so rich and wealthy, and, really, so well able to afford to pay for anything that is needed, and yet it tries to minimize much-needed staffing that would actually enable stores to be well-stocked, AND well-cleaned, zoned and maintained, on a consistent basis.

It ends up looking and feeling like sheer greed, on the part of a company big enough and fortunate enough that it actually doesn't even need to act that way. Sometimes, we're impressed that we operate as well as we do even now, and it only makes us wonder at what all we'd be able to do if things were actually staffed and run ideally and optimally. Working at Walmart can actually be a good experience now. It has been for me, most of the time. But it could be an amazing, even better place to be, with goodwill that abounded, if more money -- which the company has -- were spent on the right things, and on more people.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

4. The Big Ragu

5. The Big Ragu

As an aside. ... There was a pro move by a Bloomberg reporter on the conference call, who put Powell on the spot about Rob Kaplan's trades. As a refresher, the Fed started doing unprecendented asset purchases at the beginning of the pandemic, basically price fixing assets in various markets, and it came out later that the presidents of the Dallas and Boston Fed Banks had been buying and selling securities in the markets that the Fed was dealing in! They presumably had advance knowledge of the assets the Fed was going to be driving up the values of. ... and if they did, they may have been taking advantage personally.

Kaplan was the president of the Dallas bank, and Bloomberg has simply been trying to get them to release all of Kaplan's trades to them -- to the public. The reporter put Powell on the spot about it with the world listening. He said that he's being blown off at every turn. The Dallas Fed Bank won't give him the dates of Kaplan's transactions, and the Fed itself is not helping him. The reporter asked if Powell -- the guy at the top -- would be transparent the way he has promised.

This was the response:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Just sayin':
    At Costco yesterday, the Choice Boneless Ribeye steaks were $12.99/lb. A couple of weeks ago, they were $17.99/lb.
    Lamb (chops, racks, legs) were plentiful. A month ago, there were none.
    I'll leave it for others to analyze.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

That's not how capitalism works, ya know?

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It does at Costco.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The best economy is the one where your bills get paid.

You know, the one you don't have to think of.

That is my economy.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I bought a two-pack of sleeping pillows for $60 today - the economy is good. First pilows I've purchased myself in my life.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Pretty much what the taxpayers would pay out to build a (bargain level) NFL or MLB stadium, which would produce maybe 5% as many jobs as a new auto component plant.

12. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I'm not having trouble finding pet food. Just bought three cases. Even a few gadgets for the fishtank.

I saw a Karen on a Facebook feed complaining about such this week.

But I don't live in Wollongdongadingdong, South Dakota.

Draft saved Draft deleted