1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Driving Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Nov 14, 2021.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

West to Ont?? Where were you Fontana?? Riverside?? :))

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Brett was picked off first after his 3000th hit! Never knew that 'til watching the video.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The first one is my hometown. My parents (for now) and one of my brothers still live there.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

No disrespect, I only drove through from Ont airport to Riverside.

MileHigh likes this.
  5. MileHigh

None taken. Haven't lived in the I.E. in more than 20 years. Don't miss it. Though when I fly back there, going through ONT is very smooth and easy.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I grew up living so close to
    My brother lives 2 blocks from there, but probably has never been to Pann's.
    Where I grew up, I could always get to LAX on surface streets -- Lincoln to Sepulveda and in. Then I moved to O.C. and try to travel out of John Wayne whenever possible. Very convenient. Trips to LAX are near-impossible, as is parking (90+ minutes to go 45 miles at 5:30 in the morning). I still have never been to Van Nuys, Burbank, Ontario or Long Beach. Some friends in O.C. find it easier to fly out of San Diego than LAX if John Wayne isn't a good option for where they're going.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ate there in early November.

[​IMG]

Azrael likes this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Remember when bacon and eggs were under $10?? Damn... of course prices won't deter me from going out on the weekends nowadays every now and then (I love the french toast/egg/sausage combos)

9. MileHigh

Have never flown out of Burbank or Long Beach, but when my brother was living north of Pasadena, he would go out of Burbank. Still with old-school boarding on the tarmac, plus front and rear boarding/off-boarding. John Wayne is very convenient and ONT is almost a desert.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Pann's - along with Norm's and Johnnie's and a handful of others - is one of the last great examples of Googie's architecture.

I used to live around the corner from the original Googie's on Sunset way back when. The style these days is classified as 'retrofuturist.'

https://la.curbed.com/maps/googie-map-los-angeles

Make a day of it!

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Hey Songbird, when are you going down PCH through Manhattan Beach, Hermosa and Redondo to Palos Verdes? Then around the corner past Long Beach and into Huntington, Seal, and Newport Beach? Man each of those beaches is awesome.

Or are you going North to Santa Clarita, Valencia then Antelope Valley?

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Landed in the South Bay to look for Tarantino in Torrance.

20220128_123731.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted