1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You originally told me that the money supply has to expand with a growing economy. You still haven't explained that one. How do you explain, say, long periods of the industrial revolution, where productive capacity and technological gains made it so that the U.S. economy was growing like gangbusters and the country became the most powerful in the world as a result. ... while prices were falling like a rock (and standards of living were rising)?

That last post also makes zero sense.

So you go into business, do well for a few years, are happy. ... and then someone else comes in and figures out how to do what you do more effeciently and charges less money than you do for the same goods and services.

You are trying to give me a treatise about how terrible tha tis for everyone. We need to protect the less efficient producer and that somehow makes anyone better off? Stop trying to be an econ 101 textbook and think like a real person. Tell me who doesn't go to the store looking for lower prices.

And inflation is not "good for growth." Explain to me how increasing the money supply generates any real wealth (which is what actually grows an economy). You are just expanding the money supply. You aren't creating goods and services by simply debasing a currency. And in fact, it has the EXACT OPPOSITE effect of encouraging growth by damaging the wealth-formation process.

Money is a medium of exchange. It exists to be exchanged for things you want or need. In another words, money creates an exchange of something for somehing. When you create more money out of thin air, it gets used to take from the pool of real goods and services without producing anything useful. i.e. you are exchanging nothing for something.

Creating money that way diverts real wealth toward whoever gets rewarded with the new money. As a result, less real wealth is left to fund wealth-generating activities, which are what actually drive the economy. That WEAKENS economic growth. It's the same as if someone came and dropped a bunch of counterfeit money on a place.

In terms of what the Federal Reserve has been doing, the easy money policies simply divert resources to non-productive activities. Which is why they cause bubbles. When your business is not operating profitably, your incentive is to shut down. What they have been doing is designed to prevent failure. It is a survival of the unfittest environment. By diverting resources from wealth-generating activitives (which is what really grows an economy), they destroy wealth, which is what supports an expansion of economic activity.

You have it backward. But if you want to keep going in circles trying to justify the unjustifiable, ask yourself, if 2 percent inflation somehow encourages economic growth, why don't we completely devalue the currency? Surely we could create even more prosperity if 5 percent inflation was a goal, couldn't we? Hell, why not 90 percent inflation?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Cat food is hit or miss around here. Paper towels too. Gatorade nearly impossible. But that's it.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

What’s with the Gatorade thing? Is it bottling issues? If so, why not go back to putting it in cans. They’ve done it in the past.

I buy the little Gatorade Zero packets of powder and those have remained available.

wicked likes this.
  4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Come to my Walmart store. We have an end-cap full of Pure Leaf Tea (Aisle F-13, back side), including the decaf:). These outs and shortages seem so random sometimes...

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Do you have the new Dr Pepper Zero Sugar? I’ll drive there today if you do!

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

We have Gatorade, but it’s hot or miss. Perhaps more to do with local distributors, or lack of store personnel to stock.

Pillbury Cinnamon buns are a rare sight, but croissants not so much.

My kids complain, but you get what you get and don’t get upset.

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

No idea. It's weird

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One supermarket chain here has not had Campbell's tomato juice for over a month. Other chain nearby has plenty. Must be a management decision at the first chain, because there's still plenty of Campbell's soups on the shelf. Otherwise, I have had zero experience of missing items in my neck of the woods. Of course, I don't shop for everything in the market, so I could be missing some missing items.

9. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Your post is long on fulmination, short on intellectual content. I keep looking for a point. Do you favor a return to the gold standard, or what?

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think the point is you don't appear to know the first friggin' thing regarding what you're posting about. Bette Midler would probably do a better job.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I do have to say, though, that while riding around town doing a bunch of errands yesterday it was interesting to ponder what a growing economy with a finite (and perfectly fixed) money supply would look/be like.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You have thrown out several declaratory things (some I didn't even respond to) that are wrong, and I am just responding to you. You then respond with more declaratory statements, taking the conversation off on a new tangent without simply addressing the thing I questioned.

Telling me that depression after depression was caused by the gold standard was not "intellectual content." It's was just flat wrong.

Neither was telling me that "the money supply needs to expand to support a growing economy." That is absurd.

It has nothing to do with that (you taking it yet another direction without being able to explain why the things you declared and I questioned are true). ... but I personally favor sound money.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted