1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Driving Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Nov 14, 2021.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I had forgotten that connection until you mentioned it.

That relationship ended poorly.

David Baerwald of David & David was mostly responsible for the song "Leaving Las Vegas." It was from the memoir of his friend John O'Brien; the memoir was made into the Nicolas Cage movie.

When Sheryl Crow did the song on Letterman he asked her if it was autobiographical. She said it was. She says she wasn't expecting to actually talk with Dave and was rattled and didn't think the answer through, but knew immediately she had screwed up. O'Brien killed himself three weeks later, and while it seems to be largely unrelated it kind of ended her relationship with the TNMC guys.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd take a "Z" in a heartbeat, especially if it were a Nismo. Thought about it ... test drove ... went with something a sliver more practical. Only a little.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Historically, the Z is pretty affordable. Like a Corvette. No need to win the lottery.

The GT-R, however - especially the NISMO - can really run up a tab.

And speaking of Axl Rose, he used to do his drinking at the Coconut Teaszer, a club at Sunset and Crescent Heights. He was a neighborhood guy (the whole band was for a while), and lived up the street at Fountain and La Cienega. I had an apartment down the hill behind Jay Ward Productions and the giant fiberglass Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Rocky+and+Bullwinkle+statue.jpg

More here:

Bullwinkle Statue fully restored!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
  4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

If you're enamored with the Hollywood rock scene, be sure to see "Echoes in the Canyon," the documentary of all the rockers who lived in Laurel Canyon in the '60s and '70s.

I Should Coco and Driftwood like this.
  5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Loved that.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I'll third Echoes in the Canyon. It was very interesting.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This is the Washington Commanders of Benzes.

20220203_064305.jpg

8. Sam Mills 51

No question. But the GT-R's competition makes its roughly $110,000 tag look like a stellar value (don't laugh ... it's going after cars costing three and four times as much and holding its own). And still ... the only thing keeping it from being a perfect sports car is the absence of a third pedal. Makes little sense. The "Z" is still available with one. If anything, the proper third pedal and gearshift might have cut the number of neutral drops people were doing with GT-Rs.

Now, back to Songbird (as in, keep up the good work).

Songbird likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

lol but I'm likely done with them. 16 is a lot. Few ideas what to do with them if I ever get around to it.

That said, this beauty is at the gym most days. It's one of the beefiest cars on the road. I'd love to drive it.

20220203_140842.jpg

10. Sam Mills 51

Yeah, need to do better than a MoPar Challenger.

Typical muscle car ... impressive straightforward power and acceleration, but - similar to too many other muscle cars - brakes need to be better and it handles like a three-legged cow.

Go back to that blue Z ...

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Naaaaaaa ... muscle cars don't need to handle. It's about how quickly they can cover 1,320 feet.

FileNotFound likes this.
  12. Sam Mills 51

Such a drag ...

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted