1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I grabbed a pack of Orange Gatorade last week. Plenty of it here.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A really cogent interview with Nomi Prins about the Federal Reserve mostly, for anyone who is interested.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Railroads have operated trucking divisions forever. Saw a TuSimple presentation last year, I noted here they have been testing autonomous trucks between Texas and Oklahoma for some time, and plan to add Orlando this year. And they have a deal with International to produce OEM autonomous trucks by 2024.

Autonomous truck firm to move freight for Union Pacific - Trains

TigerVols likes this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Joe Biden's UK

5. The Big Ragu

But not Jay Powell's UK.

25 basis points in the face of rampant inflation is like spitting into a hurricane, but least they did something and aren't just talking about what amazing inflation-fighters they are.

6. The Big Ragu

A decent-sounding jobs number just now. The expectations were for something weak, maybe 150K (with Omicron as the excuse), but it came in @ 467K.

Because of the jitteriness over the Fed, we are back to good news being bad news for markets again, with the idea being that they have no excuse to not tighten.

What makes me shake my head. ... everyone remember last month when the number disappointed with 199K? They revised it up now to 510K! . ... making all of the BS then (and the market reaction) moot.

Why people hang on this BS the way they do, and do Fed tea leave reading because of it, boggles me. But it's the game everyone feels they have to play. It's the modern equivalent of phrenology.

I Should Coco likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's been clear for a long time that the monthly jobs report, which always had a very high noise to signal ratio, has become completely discombobulated by the pandemic. Perhaps it should switch to a three-month moving average or something.

8. The Big Ragu

Or perhaps they should start defining what a job is the way the rest of us do it and then simply go out count those jobs via survey?

You know, rather than creating ever more complicated models that adjust for a gazillion factors and trends that are a reflection of their biases and political pressures? I actually think they have spun themselves into such a convoluted methodology that they no longer even have control over how ridiculous a number they are going to come up with in any given month, which was the point of all the manipulation in the first place when they started down this path in the 90s.

9. The Big Ragu

FYI, I just saw this post on Zero Hedge.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/here-whats-behind-todays-stunning-payrolls-beat

I have no way of knowing if they are right, but they are saying the BLS' seasonal adjustments are the culprit for how ridiculous the numbers have gotten. i.e. -- the BLS was applying seasonal adjustments over the Covid data for months creating nonsensical numbers.

And this morning, they responded by changing the actual numbers with a huge adjustment in the opposite direction that took the current number and the adjusted numbers they gave in the complete opposite direction.

At this point, they'd be better off just using a random computer generator and claiming that is the jobs number.

FileNotFound and MileHigh like this.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A convoluted game of statistical Twister. I flipped over to see the Walsh interview and those guys were beyond perplexed. I wasn't awake yet when the numbers came out so I can only imagine what that crew's reaction was at 8:30 a.m. EST.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There's absolutely nothing nefarious about seasonally adjusting a time series that has a heavy seasonal component. One does so to present numbers in proper context. If, for example, there's almost always an increase in December jobs and a decrease in January jobs, by seasonally adjusting you get a clearer picture of underlying trends (otherwise, every December jobs report would imply an improving jobs outlook and every January one would imply a deteriorating one).

Now the how might be nefarious ... or ham-handed ... or byzantine ... or whatever adjective you want to apply.

12. The Big Ragu

I was watching the Walsh interview, saying how the numbers are credible and how he stands behind them.

I wish I could have gotten on the air with him, because I'd have pushed him to explain how the number is being calculated.

He has no clue.

Of course, though, the numbers are credible as far as he is concerned, because this month he gets to do the whole, "Look at how many jobs we created" thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted