1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

It would be oh so appropriate to have the first NASCAR "traffic jam" on a makeshift track in the middle of L.A.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

At least with The Clash, there won't be any pit stops - could you imagine how bad it would be with cars having to exit and enter a pit lane?

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How big are the fuel tanks in the new cars? I wonder if teams can/will start with a half tank to cut weight and then gamble on making it. Not sure if NASCAR mandates starting with a full tank. Don’t they fuel up after getting off the scales?

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Ticket sales for the Crash are "trending in the right direction," according to NASCAR. That's a pretty good indication it's not a sellout. (And NASCARspeak for "we're only going to take a small bath instead of a huge one.")

Driftwood likes this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

On MRN, they said they "sold" 70,000 of 75,000 tickets. I wonder if any of those are giveaways.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

O'Donnell said Nascar spent "significantly more than $1 million" to put on this event. That's like me saying I spent significantly more than $1000 to buy my house.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I saw the $6 million figure thrown around a few times.

I’ve seen people speculate that this is how they’re going to replace Fontana on the schedule. I just don’t see the Coliseum tying itself up for two or three months each year to host a stock car race. I know it’s not too busy anymore, but still. Also it limits when you can do it, because you can’t do it during the summer or USC’s season. They’ll probably dump Southern California entirely.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That makes perfect marketing sense. There's never been a tight connection between Southern California and the automobile.

dixiehack likes this.
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Now you're telling me that NASCAR should have never left the Southeast because the racing has been shit ever since? Little Brian France... bless his heart.

[​IMG]

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Drag racing disagrees.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

There’s never been a tight connection between Southern California and a moving automobile.

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

1. Without looking it up, Cale in the Holly Farms car?
    2. Look at the wooden 4x4s holding up chain link fencing. Man, we were so brave/stupid back then.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
    Driftwood and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted