1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I'll be interested if the race moves the TV needle, going head-to-head with the Olympics and figure skating. This could be just a one-off because they already know a glorified Daytona practice would get crushed in the ratings.

NASCAR hasn't been able to solve Southern California since Riverside closed. They "need" the market more than the market needs them. Plus, they want warm-weather races when they can't run established markets. But Fontana (like Ontario) isn't the solution, and they can't figure out a better answer.

Harvick hinted that the Clash could just be a moving circus if this is even moderately successful, with NASCAR picking other stadium sites across the southern tier -- Bryant-Denny, anyone? -- if they can entice Fox to pay the freight.

NASCAR is still big, in relation to other motorsports, but it no longer carries the cachet it once did.

Liut likes this.
  2. maumann

Darel Dieringer in the '67 Ford owned by Junior, leading all 400 laps! Cale finished second, a lap down, followed by Hutcherson, Paschal and Paul Lewis.

(And somehow the fans were still entertained and stayed until the end. Must have been the post-race fireworks and concert. Good thing they had the world's largest video screen when boredom set in.)

Driftwood and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Looks like about 30k maybe. Did NASCAR just overestimate the interest in NASCAR in LA? or Fontana for that matter? Shoot, maybe they needed to just televise today from a helicopter and paint a car to look like an LAPD or CHP cruiser to get people to watch.

swingline, Liut and maumann like this.
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Are any sporting events anymore judged by their gate?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Surely it's one thing for, say, the NHL to lay down plywood and build an ice rink; but Nascar pouring asphalt is something else. The Coliseum is going to have to be completely regraded and sodded, right? Would the southern football cathedrals -- even with a good number of crossover racin' fans -- put up with that?

maumann likes this.
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Ty Dillon has a few new enemies.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's still about an hour until the main event, right? Might just be late arrivals.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ty Dillon was disqualified for jumping the final restart. I missed his LCQ race, but the Twitter memes are on fire right now. I'm highly disappointed that he won't get to do it again in the main event. They should give him a spot in there and just say, "Have fun, dude."

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Good!

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

According to Jeff Gluck, NASCAR put the asphalt atop the grass. I don’t subscribe to The Athletic anymore so I haven’t read his article describing how that works.

11. maumann

Well, they show up for the third stage and leave before the seventh.

12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

it don't

UPChip likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted