1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

"Murderville" on Netflix - What an odd idea for a show! Basically, Will Arnett is the lead detective of a police force, and he gets a new celebrity partner each episode. They have to solve a murder. It's kind of like one of those dinner theater murder mysteries or "Solve A Murder" boxes they advertise on Facebook, but with funny improv elements. The first episode featured Conan, but this second episode with Marshawn Lynch, of all people, is incredible. It's worth checking out if you're into improv stuff, but the premise isn't going to be for everyone.

justgladtobehere and garrow like this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

It's a remake of BBC show I had never heard of. And Parks and Rec's Shauna Malwae-Tweep is in the first episode!

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. sgreenwell

Most of the supporting, non-Arnett cast is a who's who of "that guy!" types. Alison Becker, Phil LaMarr, David Wain, Nicole Sullivan...

garrow likes this.
  4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of the slow walk series. It's hard for me to sit down and binge through 10 episodes in a day or two. I get distracted. With a few rare exceptions (Ted Lasso season 1) I'll watch 2, maybe 3 episodes, then wander away to something different. Sometimes I can pick it back up, sometimes I can't. But when it's dropped an episode a week, it's easier for me to devote 30 minutes to an hour on a Wednesday.

5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

We do two eps of any show, maybe three, at a time. But we do like to do it fairly quickly. Typically, we're only binging one a time. The slow drop series, we often forget to watch when a new one drops.

6. sgreenwell

My wife and I can be pretty old school about a lot of stuff. For that reason, we both love the DVR on our cable box, because we can just schedule it to record, haha. As a result, we usually watch things the day after they come out, so that we can skip commercials, too. If it's a Netflix or Hulu show, we much prefer if we can just binge it, although the latter service is annoying because most of its content does adhere to the weekly drop still.

PaperDoll likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Zendaya and Hunter Schafer basically wrapped up Emmys in the first 15 minutes of last night's Euphoria. Incredible acting.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I haven’t finished the episode yet, but it looks so far like they went light on the flashy camera gimmicks and heavy on good, old-fashioned emotion and human interest.

The bridge episodes before this season clearly showed that’s when it’s at its best.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I can’t find the running 30 For 30 thread so I’ll put this here. The Tuck Rule, which premiered Sunday, was very well done. The interaction between Tom Brady and Charles Woodson was fun to watch. Lots of interviews with people involved in the game.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Finished the first season of Yellowjackets. What a fucked up show. Very well acted, even if there are some weak moments with Melanie Lynskey's older Shauna (more on the writers than the actor, IMHO). But super, super fucked up. Can't wait for season two.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I am watching "From the Earth to the Moon." Whatever people may think about how much money it cost, and what that money could have done to fix problems on Earth, the science of sending men to the moon, and bringing them home safely - not once but six times - is simply too amazing to comprehend.

Like Will MacIvoy said in "The Newsroom," we used to do big things in this country. Now we can't even get people to take a simple vaccine that would save their lives, and the lives of others.

Wenders likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I agree with you - but the "space race" was really about building better rockets to deliver nukes wrapped in a pretty package. The science is still amazing, but without the "threat" - I don't know a lot of senators and members of congress who would have bought in.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted