1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a car in this market

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Monday Morning Sportswriter, Feb 11, 2022.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

So glad I bought early last year. Somehow had a 2017 Civic with fewer than 7,000 (!) miles fall in my lap for $15k. Carfax turned up clean, but at this point maybe they’ve found ways to work around that.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I bought a 2018 Chevy Colorado 4x4 with the diesel in November 2020. I closed on my house in September 2020. If Kelley Blue Book and Zillow are to be believed, the truck has appreciated by a higher percentage than the house.

3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I've known three people that had good experiences with Carvana in the last year.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We caught a break not long before Christmas and got a great deal* on exactly what we wanted. Late model low-mileage used Subaru Forester. Base trim. Lease return.

But we had literally been shopping for years - not only for the car but for the dealer. I was ready to buy online as well, and had been looking with a purpose across every possible platform for three or four months.

So, obvious piece of advice #1, don't give up.

Advicebit #2: in the current market, depending where you are and what you want, it might make more sense to buy new.

*in the current circumstance and based on a series of irreproducible foulups

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Recreational vehicles are the same, if not worse. Not only have prices gone through the roof but the workmanship has slipped significantly as the manufacturers are slapping them together as quickly as possible.

Ours is a 2013 model, so it's coming up on 10 years old, and I'd like to trade it for a Class A. But even though I can probably get more for mine in a trade, it's a wash because the dealer doesn't have to negotiate one bit. He's got 10 potential buyers for every vehicle on his lot -- and in most cases, a waiting list for RVs that haven't even been built yet.

I'm really wary of any 2021 or 2022 models, because all I'm hearing is how shoddily they were made. (Like RVs aren't shoddy to begin with.) But I can't find a 2019 or 2020 in the layout Gwen and I want for the price I'm willing to pay.

For example, a 2019 Georgetown Series 5 31L5 new was as low as $94,000 in January of 2020 -- and I didn't pull the trigger on a deal. Now, the 2022s are $192,000 and if you can find a 2019 on RVTrader.com, they want $130,000-150,000.

Supply/demand. I thought by now, some of the people who rushed to buy RVs would have reverted back. But what we're finding is many folks are full-timing because it's cheaper than paying rent on an apartment or condo. Maybe 20 percent of the people in our park in Palmetto are Millennials, willing to co-exist with us dreaded Boomers because they can't afford to live elsewhere.

bigpern23 and Azrael like this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Try these guys. Best RV ever made.

www.lazydaze.com

Sometimes customers order, but can't take delivery. Worth a call, even though it's a Class-C.

Or find one used.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2005-Lazy-Daze-26.5-RK-5019199485

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
    maumann likes this.
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I just bought my 2018 German sedan with low miles in Dec. Yes market is very high, new cars were even $5k over sticker. But I was patient, had to wait a while but found a certified used at a dealer a buddy knew my salesman for twenty years. Got a decent deal with peace of mind.

then had to buy a decent used car for my son in college. Found a slightly used Corolla hatchback. Yes it’s more than if no chip shortage supply issue but I just said do best in this market.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Give it another year ... not to sound like the "[economic] sky is falling" types, but that which can't go on forever won't. A lot of those folks who either bought or held on to RVs will be unloading them in the coming months. That $X hundred a month payment I was making to "have something to do" is going to look a lot less tolerable when there are lot more "somethings to do" on offer.

wicked, maumann and Azrael like this.
  9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Wait until things start to break on them or the roofs leak because no one told these people the roofs need inspected or sealed frequently.

maumann likes this.
  10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Want a 1994 Vogue Prima Vista diesel? :D:D

maumann likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The best cure for high prices is high prices?

If they actually follow through on the rate hikes to any degree starting next month, anyone who bought based on what their monthly payment was and has a variable rate loan is going to see their monthly payment go up. That could create stress. There is a point, especially if it is a stagflationary environment, where that will translate to defaults, repossessions and / or a lot of cars being dumped on the used car market (know you were talking about RVs).

Of course you might die at 120 waiting for it to happen because the Fed is all in at this point, and most people need a car now.

maumann likes this.
  12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Exactly. We can afford to be patient because the backup plan is to hold onto this one. And not everybody who opted for early retirement is going to be able to afford to stay retired.

Draft saved Draft deleted