1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

When Kennedy and Johnson pointed out how many jobs the space program created - not just in Texas, but in Florida, Southern California, New York, etc. - Congress would have fallen in line. As one episode shows, early space-race opponents like Mondale were easily marginalized by being painted as unpatriotic and wanting the Russians to get to the moon first.

Wenders likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And they were quite deliberate at handing out contracts to various key members of Congress. There is a great book on the 'political history" of the Space Race written by a former professor of mine called The Heavens and the Earth which kind of opened my eyes to it all. Whatever the various motivations going for it - it's still an amazing feat that leapfroged our technological development by several generations. Think about the difference between sci-fi movies between the 50s and 70s - they had to get a lot better because reality was catching up.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just finished the Joe Montana six-part documentary on Peacock. Loved every second of it. Traces his life from childhood through the Notre Dame days, then San Francisco and Kansas City. The NorCal lifer in me also loved hearing the radio calls of Don Klein and Lon Simmons again.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Yeah. thought t was really well done, too. Wasn't a 49ers fan or anything, but it was hard not to like Montana, unless he was beating the team you root for.

I haven't been able to watch the Brady doc on ESPN. Just dislike him too much. Maybe in 10 years....

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I watched season 1 of Ozark. What an empty, piece of shit.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Mentioned it in the Odenkirk thread, but forgot to post here too - God damn, "I Think You Should Leave" is so fucking good. I plowed through all 12 episodes last night, because they range in length from 10 to 20 minutes. It's weird how well the show can blend humor with some actual emotion from time to time. But more often than not, I'm laughing my ass off at something, and I have no clue why it's funny. Like about the tables.

Tighthead likes this.
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Watching Reacher. I never read this book but I’ve seen this story before. Another movie without attribution?

it’s a good series. Fun enough. Definitely worth watching.

8. heyabbott

Don Draper: What do women want?
    Roger Sterling: Who cares.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

OK, enough about Darlene. What did you think of the show?

Lt.Drebin likes this.
  10. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

Seems like Ozark has a lot to clean up in the series’ final seven episodes. … I predict Ruth isn’t around much longer after the next episode.

11. heyabbott

Rewatching Mad Men, for the first time in years. January Jones didn’t get enough credit for her acting. She’s absolutely gorgeous. But she’s one of the ugliest characters in TV history, just a miserable wretch of a person. Really good acting and writing.

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

She's the best part of the show. And I really like Bateman and Linney.

Draft saved Draft deleted