1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a car in this market

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Monday Morning Sportswriter, Feb 11, 2022.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Put that last sentence on a t shirt and wear it everyday.

Good for you, Toyotas are nearly bulletproof an$ hybrid drivetrain is best out there. Enjoy.

2. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

That's a tactic I hadn't thought of. It's a good idea, assuming you did get a better price on the vehicle than you would have without leaping at the dealership's financing bait.

The last time I bought a vehicle for myself (> 20 years ago), I foolishly tried to buttress my offer with, "I'll put 60 percent of the price down as a down payment, so you should accept my offer."

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Bought my Civic last February with 6,900 miles on it.

Got my first oil change free with the purchase. Don't drive it a ton, so that took seven months.

I had to go in for my inspection today so I got an oil change, even though it was about 1,000 miles early.

The $66 for the (synthetic) oil change was the first maintenance expense I've had with this car. I've gone about 10,000 miles, and that's including a couple out-of-town trips.

Unless something drastically changes, I'm never buying American again.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Better late, than never. My parents have been ultra-Buy American (in 1988 they were helping me buy my first car and said it had to be American, well there went the Integra/Supra/Celica/Prelude so I had to "settle" for the Mustang GT) but once I got married its been all Japanese for the past 25 yrs before I just got my first German car and every one has been a great car with minimum maintenance costs.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

My wife keeps asking me when we’re going to get a new CR-V hybrid we had agreed to buy pre-pandemic. Not in this market. I’m nearing 350,000 miles on my 2008 Civic, but I’m crossing my fingers it can outlast the computer chip shortage. We have the cash to buy one outright, but I’ll be damned if I’m going to pay above sticker price for a car.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Same, on the American thing. I had terrible luck with Dodges. Bought a used Altima in 2012 at 31K miles (was a previously leased car), got it to 180K miles, then bought the CR-V last year. And to your point, I've had no maintenance on it save for oil changes and one recall issue that was taken care of. I do need to get the rear differential fluid replaced in the next 4K miles or so, but that's normal maintenance for a new vehicle. Zero complaints. Love this car.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I had a 2011 CR-V. Put 225,000 on it and was read to upgrade. Got lucky with a CR-V in stock in August. Love it. I've had Hondas for over 30 years.

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

You can probably get one *at* sticker nowadays at the right dealership. Just no need for a dealership to sell them under.

Hermes likes this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Same on the American thing and the Chrysler/Dodge family. Good-looking cars with transmissions made out of tin foil. My wife and I spent way too much money from our shitty 20-something journalism salaries on those cars.

My Toyota Highlander was built in my state, so that helps rationalize things now.

11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

A decade ago, we cut from two cars to one.

We had a 6-year-old Town & Country with 100,000 miles and a Camry with 140,000 miles. We sold the Chrysler. It was dead by 140,000. I got almost 200,000 additional miles from the Camry.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, we negotiated the price down as far as I think we could, but we weren't at the number that I wanted. So I asked if we financed through the dealership at their top rate would they give us our number. Saleswoman "checked" with her manager and came back saying yes. When we went into the finance office and went over the terms, I asked and checked the contract to make sure there was no early payment penalty and we went ahead and signed the paper work. Paid it off two months later and saved a few thousand dollars.

We also never mentioned the idea of paying in cash. I think that would probably change their calculus because they'd probably figure out what you're up to. We had been talking about financing at their lowest rate.

Draft saved Draft deleted