1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a car in this market

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Monday Morning Sportswriter, Feb 11, 2022.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I like to rent Dodge’s sports cars when I get a rental car to fulfill my childhood dream of being one of the Dukes of Hazard and stave off a mid-life crisis, and then go back to driving a boring, dependable Japanese car while driving the speed limit every day.

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I got pulled over at 2 am, doing about 90 in a rented lime green Charger. I was outside of North Platte NE on my first trip to Sand Hills. I think the speed limit was 80.

Cop saw I was out of country and driving a rental and decided the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze and let me go. I couldn’t drive a car like that on a regular basis.

Hermes likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Mngwa likes this.
  4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I really wanted a Type R Civic, but my wife can’t drive stick and I realized I would end up with my license being taken from me or my body wrapped around a tree.

Having a child really makes early death a much less palatable option.

But I did make it to Hilton Head two hours quicker that Google Maps said it would take in a Challenger a few years ago. At one point I was going 112 in North Carolina and realized I would probably be arrested if I didn’t slow down. At least I had legal representation sitting in the passenger seat.

Tighthead likes this.
  5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

When I bought my Miata with 6MT a couple of years ago wife was silent for a couple of days; she never learned a stick. It was our 4th car so she had her car but it still stung. Of course this is when my kids are out of house not when they were kids in the house. It’s a blast to drive a clutch (but not every day)

I hope you get your shot later.

Hermes likes this.
  6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I've had vehicles similar to the Type R for 20 years (had the Type R's predecessor for much of that time). Still with license and not wrapped around a tree. Yet.

And where in North Carolina were you going 112 without getting pulled? Down U.S. 17 near the coast? Or somewhere down in Brunswick County?

Hermes likes this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Offer to teach her. Big parking lots, no concrete stops in parking spots, few if any light poles. Lots of tolerance with the understanding from the learning side that you don’t force the stick or pedal if it‘s not going and that grinding sounds can eventually become expensive.

(And Hermes … hope you do get your shot. Shoot your … shift.)

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

The car I miss the most is a four-door Pontiac Grand Am with a five-speed. It was the only bigger car I had ever seen with a standard. One summer, I drove from Texas to Vegas in that car. It was a great trip.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I’ve never driven a stick. I didn’t realize how much of a folly it was until I discovered how much I needed to pay to rent an auto in Ireland.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

We already have our Porsche, but that ship was headed for the port that delivered our vehicle, and supplies those cars to most New England dealerships. I’m curious how they’re going to handle the loss of inventory. That’s a thousand cars that will need to be rebuilt (many by hand).

It’s hard enough to get a new car as is, nevermind having your special order burn up and/or sink to the bottom of the sea.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
    Hermes and maumann like this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's one of the things that cracks me up nowadays with the "Buy American!" crowd. It's always a great idea, but there might be as many or more foreign automakers that have plants in the U.S. now as actual American automakers. Nissan and Toyota both have plants in my state, and there are about a dozen foreign companies with plants scattered around the country. Camrys, Accords and Civics are all built stateside. Even Mercedes has plants in Alabama and Georgia.
    You can buy almost any major make of foreign car now and support American workers.

Of course, all of this is coming from the guy whose last three cars were built entirely in Hiroshima.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It would be nice if there were pay and work conditions parity with the Detroit manufacturers, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted