1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think the kinds of restrictions you are talking about would cause a rejection of the dollar. They could even try to outlaw public blockchain currencies as an alternative, and one or more of them would still take over as the de facto currency in use (assuming we are heading to a digital world). In fact, I can't think of anything our government could try to do that would cause a quicker rejection of the dollar and widespread adoption of a decentralized way of transacting outside the reach of any government. Take your milk example. If the government tried to limit what you can't and can't buy, why would you not expect an underground black market beyond their reach to take hold, the way it has in just about every place with those kinds of limitations?

As for the ESG thing you posited, if anything, I am seeing signs that people are tiring of it as a fad, because 1) they are realizing that there is no way to quantify what is and isn't environmentally or socially beneficial; there is so much subjectivity involved that whatever criteria they supposedly have leads to inconsistent application, and 2) people are seeing the negative effects of it firsthand. For example, the price of energy has spiked, and a big contributor has been the lack of investment in new oil and gas supply over the last decade and a half due to central planning attempts that funneled capital away from exploration, and into various hand-picked alternative energy technologies that are either still not viable or are more costly. If anything we are starting to see a backlash against ESG investing, with people realizing that the whole exercise does a lot to make people feel good about themselves without necessarily doing much to make the world a better place.

Batman likes this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I certainly hope you're right. If there's one thing you can count on from big business types, it's that they do love fads and quickly move from one to the next. So hopefully the ESG thing is indeed just a passing fad. The part that gives me pause, though, is how its principles align with things that seemed preposterous only a few years ago but have found their way into at least proposed laws and initiatives like the Green New Deal and Build Back Better.
    The latter slogan has been used by politicians in several countries, not just by Joe Biden.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Having said what I said, I think it's 3-1 odds in favor of Trump remaining unindicted on Election Day 2022.

Garland (bless his heart) doesn't have the stomach for the fight, and the poor Fulton County DA just doesn't have the firepower to indict an ex-POTUS.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“I’m going to get into the best shape of my life, take a picture in a bathing suit on the beach, post it to Instagram and show Peloton what it’s missing.”

dixiehack likes this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

For all the chaos at the IRS, I was stunned we got our refund deposited in our account on Feb. 28.

Our accountant had my wife’s practice and ours done about as early as humanly possible, but given the staffing shortages, I figured we be waiting much longer.

Will be interesting to see others’ experiences this tax season.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

401(k) wasn't taken out of my 10 bi-weekly McClatchy severance payments.
    Didn't become eligible for 401(k) at new job until January.

Ergo, had four months of double incomes with no 401(k) distributions.
    I honestly expected to owe more than the $1,470 I do owe.

8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

We got ours before that.

Hermes likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Good news: Container vessel operators have been unable to completely pass on their soaring fuel costs to shippers as recent trans-Pacific volume has declined. They ocean lines are also reducing vessel cruising speeds (slow steaming) to save fuel. That has led to expectations that West Coast port ops may return to a more normal pace in the coming months.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

But if fewer goods are coming over, aren’t there just different types of supply chain issues?

Draft saved Draft deleted