1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Mar 6, 2022.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Show your work!

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Anyone else looking to buy the book now after watching the first episode?

Hey Jeff, since we all know you lurk, how about sending an autographed copy?

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Being a Pistons fan before the Bad Boys I was pumped when Kareem mentioned Lanier

Liut likes this.
  4. Songbird

He'll make you go find it under a row of seats atop the highest point of a stadium or in the supermarket aisle between fava and waxed beans.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Funny thing is there's a fantastic Lakers book called... Winnin' Times, by Ostler and Springer. I haven't read many stories on the series; did HBO not want to call it Showtime because, I don't know, people would think of the rival cable network?

And @Songbird, the Chick call of Magic's hook might be my favorite of his. "He's got it, he didn't shoot it, 5 seconds left, Magic down the middle, just what I thought, a hook shot at 12 gooood." First he says all that perfectly in 5 seconds. But the talent/sort-of-arrogance to toss in parenthetical "just what I thought" is amazing.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And never mind his three NCAA titles, and only losing one game in college. Had freshmen been eligible, he would have won four titles.

heyabbott likes this.
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Once people get past (or is it passed?) the reflex and recency bias of LeBron or Jordan there are a few players legitimately worthy of the GOAT conversation and nothing’s definitive. Jabbar and Wilt are as worthy as James and Jordan. And there must be something to Bill Russell that makes him the greatest winner in the history of the NBA of not team sports. In his prime, when it mattered to him, Shaq was as much of a force as any player. And while he is not the greatest player of all time, when Allen Iverson was on the floor, was there a player who impacted that game more? Maybe Magic.

8. Songbird

We cannot compare the late 50s and 60s to today. Ain't happening.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Claire Rothman

garrow likes this.
  10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Damn I’m old!!

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Magic vs. Bird shone a brighter light on college basketball than anything before. But Alcindor vs. Hayes brought it from Point A to Point B, too. The drama of the eye patch, the hastily constructed national network, the surreal atmosphere of the Astrodome, the 11 p.m. game time that meant kids like me were staying up way past bedtime to see it ... it was a game-changer.

And yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode of this. I didn't realize that was Gaby Hoffman from "Dear John" for quite a while. And I love the portrayal of West as a crazy MF.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Honestly, I cannot get enough of Jerry West right now.

BitterYoungMatador2 and qtlaw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted