1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone know how the bad words get bleeped on live broadcasts? I know there is a seven-second delay - my question is how the word is bleeped. A board op hears the word, how do they "go back" and bleep the word, while also making sure to hear any subsequent bad words?

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I believe that for radio at least, they have a "dump" button. It basically dumps X seconds before and after you hit it, depending on how you set it up.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. DanOregon

The "new" Survivor format is kind of bugging me. I kind of like players having to "earn" their way to tell "their story." No doubt these personal backstories and motivations are great - but all the show is missing is Tom Rinaldi's piano. Waiting for the visit to the island from a Make A Wish kid. Give me the arguments, the backstabbing, the gameplay and challenges that make contestants REALLY bleed. And the extended tribal councils seem mostly designed to give Probst more screen time.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

That was how Ferg “solved” the Cowboy Bill case, at least in part by finding a car with a 24 license plate in Pogosa Springs. ((He had the wrong guy)

I also liked when Vic’s father tried to get her to come back to Philly and she said we have drugs, guns and drugs just like in the big city.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. DanOregon

This show and the short lived Sheriff on Fox a year or two back, both just scratched the surface of what a show about a sheriff should be about. The politics, the weirdness in this country that only acknowledges the "authority" of county sheriffs, sheriffs vowing to disregard federal and state laws that "infringe" on some thing or another. Using the office for the benefit of various campaign donors etc. Some of these places, these sheriffs have a lot more in common with mob bosses than law enforcement professionals.

Shoot, I've covered stories where a former undersheriff returns to the streets because he backed the wrong candidate in the election - and a street deputy with a powerful family name in an area being part of a sheriff-undersheriff "ticket" , despite minimal qualifications.

Batman likes this.
  6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Same. Probst thinks up a lot of these new twists and most of them suck. I think a lot of the contestants these days aren't as interested in the game as they are in being famous. And so many of them are unlikable. That guy that got voted off earned some intense dislike the first time he opened his mouth.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The stuff Oliver has done on elected sheriffs and judges is just crazy-nuts.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

This was true from most of the season but the final 2 episodes were strong. Luke Kirby as Lenny Bruce secured his Emmy nomination in the finale.

Spartan Squad and Dyno like this.
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We are planning on watching the last 2 this weekend. Been trying to avoid spoilers.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The county I work in, I feel pretty fortunate that we have a longtime sheriff who seems way more dedicated to the nuts and bolts of the job than the politics or the perks of the office. Even with a decent-sized department he still goes out on patrols himself and has a ridiculous, almost superhuman ability to stumble upon random crimes in progress.
    One time, he was on his way back from a meeting in another city and had a hit-and-run happen in front of him at a traffic light. He helped the other city's cops chase down the perp.
    Another time he was filling up his patrol car with gas when somebody pulled into the station and fired a gun at someone. He made the arrest.
    The other night he was in his car and on the phone with our news editor giving a briefing on some case, when a carful of idiots blew by him going 100 mph. He politely excused himself from the phone conversation, chased them down, made the arrest, then called the editor back to finish the briefing with the four idiots in the back of his car.
    I might use the handle, but this guy is the real Batman.

OscarMadison and I Should Coco like this.
  11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

To go with the sports cliché, your sheriff has a nose for the football!

Batman likes this.
  12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I watched last night. Agree that Kirby needs awards for his Lenny Bruce. Looking back at this entire season, though? Meh. Some funny Susie moments, but not much else.

Draft saved Draft deleted