1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Driving Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Nov 14, 2021.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's a little odd. Prices are higher than most of the country, of course, but the 30-cent difference in regular and premium is much smaller than anywhere in my neck of the woods. Place close to me is currently $4.37/$5.09.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

40 bucks at dinosaur gas station got me 7.1 gallons and increased miles to E from 32 to 153.

[​IMG]

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not sure if it’s still there, but the first I-80 exit for Iowa City used to have a Sinclair station with the full dinosaur statue out front.

A few late-night shenanigans might have been pulled around/on that statue …

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It’s normal in California for there to be 10-cent increments between regular, plus and premium. It’s strange day when you see it be a jump of much more than that. Didn’t realize until you pointed it out that’s not the norm in the country.

5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Used to be. But not in the last decade or so

6. Songbird

Decided to walk thru alleys off Pico tonight, my future home.

Lotta fucking cars and cyclists and stumblers and commotion in the alley.

And hey, gorgeous art on the walls.

[​IMG]

Kinda reminded me of Kings of Leon's Sex on Fire.

Great song for driving, windows down, volume up.

The dark of the alley
    The breaking of day
    Head while I'm driving
    I'm driving
    Soft lips are open
    Them knuckles are pale
    Feels like you're dying
    You're dying
    You
    Your sex is on fire
    Consumed
    With what's just transpired

7. Songbird

For the Anglicans among us as seen at a red light on Olympic today.

[​IMG]

8. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I thought Anglicans in the States are Episcopalians?

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Tighthead likes this.
  10. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Makes sense. I didn’t go to an Anglican (Church Of England) service in Canada until I was about 27 and I was stunned at how similar it was to the Catholic service.

11. Songbird

So many shapes and angles. The subtlety of geometry.

The bench reminded me of the zebra from Juicy Stripe gum. Looked it up. His name was Yipes.

[​IMG]

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

South-central Pennsylvania edition

When I just want to get in the car and drive -- and I love doing that -- I often do the Harrisburg-Lancaster-York triangle, avoiding major highways the whole way.

I turn down Cameron Street (U.S. 230) in Harrisburg, go through Steelton, Middletown, Elizabethtown, all the way to Park City Mall in Lancaster. Then I go down to Pa. 462 in downtown Lancaster, take that through Columbia and Wrightsville to York. And then home through back roads. Nice 90-minute trip, plenty of good places to stop along the way.

Option No. 2: Weave down U.S. 11 through Camp Hill, Carlisle, Shippensburg, all the way to Chambersburg. Then pick up U.S. 30 East through Gettysburg to York and back roads to home.

Wine trails are a great way to drive, stop and enjoy, too. We've done multi-day wine trails in and around the Finger Lakes, Erie and Charlottesville. All have been fascinating trips.

One road trip I've always wanted to take and never got around to was Pa. Route 6 across the top of the state, from Scranton to Erie. That was going to be the highlight of a three-day road trip about a decade ago, but I had a bad tooth act up on the first leg of the trip, wound up in a dentist's chair outside Philly and lost the desire to drive another two days.

But Route 6 would be awesome.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted