1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 college basketball coaching carousel of progress

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

... so besides vacated Final Fours at two different schools and his soul, what does Calipari have left to deal with?

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Archie Miller knows better. Who was Archie's coach in Raleigh? How did the idiots treat him?

Please stop.

maumann likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

For his sake, I hope he stays at Rhode Island and wins big. Pack fans are delusional, having convinced themselves that their program is elite because it cheated like mad to get David Thompson and got absurdly lucky in 1983.
    To your point, they ran off a good coach and haven’t won without cheating since.

4. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

I thought the story this year was that Kentucky had its oldest team since the '50s, that all these upperclassmen and transfers were part of Cal's new approach.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The URI fans were oddly interested in them, because they have Jacob Toppin - Obi's brother - on their roster. He was a talented but flawed player in the A-10, and it's kind of wild now to see Kentucky needing to play him.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Dennis Gates to Missouri.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

USF has had excellent coaches and could possibly be a serious challenger to Gonzaga in the WCC had one stayed for more than several years, but they always leave. Unlike Mark Few, and unlike Randy Bennett. Both had plenty of chances to leave after some early success but instead stayed and built great mid-major programs at GU and SMC. Same with Bob McKillop at Davidson, and to a lesser degree Mooney at Richmond.

Continuity is so important.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know if USF has "coach houses" in its portfolio - that would allow coaches to live near campus and not have to fork over most of their pay in rent. I have to think the school has some well-heeled alums.

9. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

JTIII to GW would be pretty fascinating:

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If I'm GW I'm not taking a Georgetown reject. Even if it might get them a game or two with the Hoyas (who are so bad now they should beg to play GW for a chance to win a game).

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm tempting fate to say it, but I think Andy Kennedy is looking in that direction very hard. When it was obvious that Rob Ehsan was going to get the hook, AK made it a point to quit broadcasting and make himself available to hire. He signed a six year, $750 contract, which he could easily better. I think he's eyeing becoming the successor to Gene Bartow here, because once you've already made your millions and bought all the stuff, comfort and security and your alma mater is a solid perk.

Draft saved Draft deleted