1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Pandemic's over now though, don'tcha know.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Had a conversation with my mom a year ago, she said "when is it going to end?" I said "when something WORSE comes along..." Call me Nostradumass.

WriteThinking likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Remember our discussion of the potential for a U.S. Digital Dollar that would replace paper currency?
    Seems a big step was taken in that direction the other day. Biden's executive order is calling for a plan to create a CBDC for the United States within a year for some pieces, and much sooner (as little as 120 days, which would be early July) for others.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...ng-responsible-development-of-digital-assets/

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Two bitdollars!
    Four bitdollars!
    Six bitdollars!
    A bitdollardollar!

maumann likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Probably not. The supply chain issues have been as much (probably more) a function of a demand spike than the narrative people were fed that it was entirely the virus. We had a double whammy of Congress essentially helicopter dropping a couple of trillion dollars in pockets all at once, while the Fed went all in on in monetizing it. That orgy of spending / demand on the back of that has all but worked its way through, leaving us with just the monetary inflation it created because the fed blew up the supply of money by 40 percent in a year and half. But with that $2+ trillion dollars already passed out and already spent, the supply chain problems have already eased a lot. Problems will continue to linger, but unless the virus rages again, or wwiii is breaking out, or they do more “stimulus” — like the arsonist pretending to be the firefighter— the worst of shortages are likely behind us.

Particularly, since we are heading into a recession (a stagflationary environment actually) which will curtail demand even further. Already is.

FWIW, the Fed’s half-assed gesture to address the flation part of the stagflation, starting with the measly 25 basis point rate hike they are going to do next week, will be way way too little too late. We’re going to end up with the worst of both worlds. … runaway prices and the recession. They f’d themselves. They need to aggressively hike rates all at once to rein in the monetary inflation they brought on us , but the mountain of debt our economy is built on because of all of the easy money means that even a modest semi-normalization (forget a Paul Volcker type hike) will bring on a massive credit crisis greater than what we saw in 2008. That is why they are dithering and don’t have any strategy. There is no good strategy for what they created.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Let them eat cake.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

And don't sign NDAs to protect a harassing midget billionaire.

OscarMadison and britwrit like this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Welp you can’t take the bus if you live in most of the country. I’m staying in a decent sized city (Tucson) this week. I’m probably 10 miles from the city center. There are like two buses a day, tops, that leave from this neighborhood to the downtown.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I identify with so much of that story. That could’ve been me.

Draft saved Draft deleted