1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 college basketball coaching carousel of progress

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 26, 2022.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Getting 750 bucks for six years? I would certainly think he could do better. Even I’m doing better than that.

Batman likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Woops. I dropped the K. Hopefully Michigan St. will do the same this afternoon.

Batman and Matt1735 like this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

NMSU's Chris Jans to Mississippi State. He looks like Ted Cruz, so he'll probably be popular there.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The guy has had quite the career path. JUCO coach for many years. Then becomes head coach at Bowling Green in 2014. Coaches them to one of the best turnarounds in the country. After the season-ending loss, a home game in the CIT, he apparently goes to a bar and starts hitting on women. Gets whacked a couple of days later. Then he gets hired as a "special assistant" at Wichita State, where he had previously been an assistant. After a couple of years of image-laundering, he lands the head coaching gig at New Mexico State.
    Now gets the gig at Mississippi State. SEC Values, I suppose.

Chris Jans Fired by Bowling Green Following Inappropriate Behavior at Bar

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Is Kevin Willard the best Maryland can do?

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

KState wanted Underwood bad.
    He has big buyout and is making good money in Champagne. Mutual interest, so they get the money together for the buyout, and give him another 1.2 mill per year from what he was making there. He tells KState “I’ll think about it.”

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

No offense to Underwood, but he's about a year or two from being dumped by Illinois for the lack of first week NCAA success. He's not exactly in a position of power.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If they end up getting Willard, why not just get Holloway? I'd rather take my chances with him

10. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

He's already been dubbed "Bald Turgeon" by some Maryland fans.

Nearly every NCAA champion over the past 20 years (except UConn 2014) has ranked top 20 in KenPom offensive efficiency. Here's where Willard's Seton Hall teams have ranked (working back from this year): 91st, 51st, 29th, 87th, 17th, 84th, 72nd, 73rd, 112th, 145th, 99th, 150th. Yes, he inherited a mess and turned the Pirates into fairly consistent winners, but he's also 1-5 in the NCAA tournament.

So I can see why Terps fans aren't exactly excited over this, though I'm struggling to think of a name who actually *would* satisfy them except maybe for a de-aged Gary Williams.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  11. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

Ashley Howard is out at La Salle, and another A10 job opens at one of the harder places to win in that conference (Explorers have been in the A10 since 1995 and have exactly one NCAA tournament appearance and only five winning seasons).

Colgate's coach allegedly will be a target there.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if Underwood has to sweat much. His AD has zero interest in hiring another MBB coach.

Draft saved Draft deleted