1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 college basketball coaching carousel of progress

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 26, 2022.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Seems like weird timing, unless they already have a new hire lined up. Howard had four years, and went 45-71, so he had his shot. They had one player with a PER above 15, and he's a graduating senior.

2. nickp

nickp Active Member

I hope things go well for Kevin Willard at Maryland

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Great times at St. Peter's but it must suck to know your coach is toast the second you lose.

Those coaches bolted San Francisco and New Mexico State before their teams had even left the locker room after their NCAA loss. Hard to believe you're 100% invested in the upcoming game when you've probably spent considerable time interviewing and negotiating with your next employer during time you should be prepping for your next game.

4. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

Remember when Randy Edsall didn't fly home with his team after the Fiesta Bowl so he could go take the Maryland football job? And then informed the UConn players he was leaving by calling one of them and having him stand in front of the room with his speakerphone on so Edsall could let them know. Class act.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It really doesn't make a lot of sense -- it's like they hired Turgeon again, only if he was happy to be there

6. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

Jeff Goodman tweeted that Maryland "swung and missed at some bigger names," so I get the sense Willard was not its first choice. But they're paying him nicely -- I think I saw he's getting $1 million more per year than Turgeon got in his final season -- even though they're still paying Turgeon and also had to pay Willard's buyout at Seton Hall. That's a lot of cash for an athletic department that has not always been wise with its money and still is trying to raise funds for a new basketball facility.

wicked likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I have no problem with coaches cashing their tickets - I am always surprised team jump at "hot coaches" 90 percent based on winning a first-round NCAA game. It makes The Bachelor seem like he does "due diligence" (crossthread/)

Though I must say - Andy Enfield has worked out quite well at USC.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    franticscribe and dixiehack like this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I have no problem with coaches cashing in. But at least wait until the corpse is cold.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

For months, we have read that the Maryland job is one of the best in the land. If so, why are they settling for a refugee/asylum hire? They'd have been better off hiring Fred Willard.

Fred siegle likes this.
  10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Sometimes, it's not even winning an NCAA tournament game. Just making the tournament is all it takes.
    Like other hires, some work out and others fall flat.
    Maryland's now-notorious fan base ran off a decent coach. They got a lesser one.
    Who would have satisfied them? Anybody have a guess?

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I assume because Dennis Gates was already snatched up.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Matt McMahon is apparently going from Murray State to LSU. Maryland would have been a better job and they should have been able to put together a competitive offer. But something tells me they were determined to get a coach from a major conference with East Coast ties and followed those instructions down a blind alley.

franticscribe and tapintoamerica like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted