1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 college basketball coaching carousel of progress

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And don't forget, that league is only going to get tougher next year when Sister Jean comes aboard.

2. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

Speaking of GW, this would be a home run (though their last Vermont hire ended badly for them):

Caputo and Pegues are the two other names I've seen connected to the GW gig.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I would think Becker could do better, though the Atlantic 10 is a giant step up competitively from the America East, for sure.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Becker has an ugly scandal brewing at Vermont - several basketball players have been accused of sexual assault, although it's unclear how much Becker knows / knew, and when. A decent portion of the student body wants him fired. I think it's why he didn't really get much traction this hiring cycle, even though his track record at Vermont is pretty ridiculous. The guy can coach, but unless you've had a chance to thoroughly vet the crap up in Vermont - and I don't know how you would - there's a big chance the hiring could bite you on the ass a couple months from now.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Was not aware of that, thanks.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Steve Prohm going to run it back at Murray State.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Should probably have never left in the first place.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Watching SportsCenter and just saw how Larranaga has Miami in its first Elite Eight. Seven years, eight years ago, whatever it was, you figured Larranaga would be there for three or four years and it’d set up his retirement. How’d that go?

Edit: Just looked it up, he’s been at Miami for 11 years. He was at Mason for 14.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It's gonna be such a bummer for St. Peter's when Holloway announces he's leaving this week. What a buzz kill.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Saw this on a twitter feed known as "Major Madness." I have no idea how locked in this guy is. Martelli makes a lot of sense for La Salle, I'd expect he still has a house in the Philly area and La Salle desperately needs someone to give the program a modicum of juice. Not sure why Mike Davis would leave Detroit for Alabama A&M.

Had no idea Rob Lanier of Georgia State was headed for SMU.

Seton Hall- Shaheen Holloway
    Georgia State- Jonas Hayes
    George Washington- Chris Caputo
    Tenn Chattanooga- Casey Long
    New Mexico State- James Miller
    Louisiana Tech- Austin Claunch
    San Diego- Danny Sprinkle
    Miami OH- Travis Steele
    Cleveland State- Rob Summers
    Western Michigan- Ed Schilling
    LaSalle- Phil Martelli
    Lafayette- Mike Jordan
    Alabama A&M- Mike Davis
    Alabama State- Landon Bussie

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He’s an Alabama guy who did time in T-town and Birmingham.

Draft saved Draft deleted