1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 college basketball coaching carousel of progress

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Joe Golding at UTEP and Grant McCasland at North Texas were also mentioned as SMU candidates as recently as a couple of days ago. McCasland was looking like a lock. I guess UNT came across.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

OK, but still Alabama A&M in the SWAC instead of a Horizon League gig? Maybe he sees the handwriting on the wall with a new president coming in at Detroit.

His son was a great player for the Titans (and has a year left) but he's also never had a winning season there and has caught grief for not recruiting anyone from Detroit or in-state.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Mike Davis at Alabama A&M is like Charlie Strong going back to NAIA Lyon College in his hometown. Um, probably not.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Tubby Smith going back to High Point, his alma mater, after Memphis wrote an eight-figure check to send him on his way so they could hire Penny Hardaway.

So ... how long until Memphis needs a new men's basketball coach and AD?

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He's only a couple years removed from coaching at Texas Southern. The SWAC is not foreign territory to him.

His run at Texas Southern was really good, too. He got to the tournament four times and they won an early season bodybag game at Michigan State. They're still riding the wave he started.

franticscribe likes this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And the SWAC is the mother church of coaching polyamory.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Danny Sprinkle is a Montana State alum, but I could see him leaving for San Diego. It's a way better job, and MSU isn't going to do any better than it did this year. The Big Sky is a perpetual one-bid league. You can get an at-large at USD.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Now I am reading A&M's target might actually be Mike Davis Jr., an assistant for his father at Detroit.

Good of Shaheen Holloway and Seton Hall to let the SPC corpse at least cool off before making their inevitable announcement. The USF and NMSU coaches were out the door about 10 minutes after their teams were eliminated.

The MAAC lasted longer in this tournament than the Big Ten. I realize all 68 teams can't be mid-majors, but certainly Iona deserved an at-large berth in place of the No. 9 Big Ten team, if only for a spot in the play-in round. Dayton as well.

Twirling Time likes this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Iona's entire resume was winning the MAAC and beating Alabama on a neutral floor on Thanksgiving. Just not enough there for an at-large. Rutgers and Indiana were better than Iona across every metric. I appreciate your point, though, and if we ever get to a 96-team tournament, I think there should be a guarantee that regular-season conference champs get into the field, no matter what happens in their league tournaments.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It would be kinda awesome if they did that now -- all 64 spots are initially accounted for and then you would have all these other teams rooting for the regular season champs to also be the conference tourney champs to open up an at-large bid.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Iona got screwed when their game against Seton Hall was cancelled due to COVID. They also had a 13-point loss to Kansas on a neutral court and a win over Yale

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

St. Peter's wasn't just the story of a 15 seed that made the Elite Eight before predictably collapsing. This was a team that missed nearly a month of the season because of COVID, which DQ'd 10 of their players. They came back from that? Wild. Good for Shaheen Holloway.

franticscribe likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted