1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The idea was for Bristol dirt to stand alone and be "special," so Easter Sunday night it was. They assume folks won't be watching Sunday during the day. I disagree, and the Cowboys game on Thanksgiving proves the point.

As for Texas if they tried starting it any earlier than 7 p.m. there, you might be in a fryer. Last year they started it around 5 or 6 Texas time, and it was insane degrees fahrenheit.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Bristol may be fine for TV, but I was talking more about attendance than anything. In a best case scenario for someone who lives within an hour of the track, someone wanting to go to the race and be at work Monday morning, they won't be getting home until after midnight. To me personally, that's not a good recipe for wanting to actually attend the race.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I think there also was talk of night offering better conditions for dirt racing.

I hope this is the last year of it. Have more football games in the infield, fine. Hauling in the dirt and tossing it out back seems like a lot of effort for minimal reward.

Driftwood and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think Easter and Thanksgiving are comparable for TV. Easter dates can vary widely but Thanksgiving is always in the same spot, and Easter traditions are more scattered too.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

There was some WWE-style wrasslin’ at the end of that Xfinitywide race. Ty Gibbs ain’t making any friends.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That wasn’t rasslin’, that was a full-blown brawl.

7. Driftwood

Grandpa is going to have to scratch a big check in the NASCAR trailer for this one. Both will likely get fined, but Gibbs was totally the instigator.

wicked likes this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Midgets in funny overalls "brawl". LOL

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Love how the guy in the "official" firesuit is standing there like a hockey ref -- let 'em go until they're on the ground, then break up. I'm sure Nascar gives those guys very strict instructions to not ruin a potential viral moment.

10. Driftwood

Based on the forecast and radar, NASCAR may or may not be racing in Bristol tonight. Serves them right for scheduling a gimmick race on a Sunday night.
    The April race at Bristol has always been toss up as far as weather goes.
    At least the August Saturday night race is good to go.... Oh, wait, they don't race at Bristol in August anymore.

maumann likes this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Got rained out last year, too. Serves them right.

Junior floated the idea a few months back that they should turn a rebuilt North Wilkesboro into a dirt track and just do the dirt race there every year. IIRC it’s not banked a lot so I wonder how dirt would work there, but I’ve heard worse. He’s apparently close with Marcus Smith, so I doubt he tossed that out there without some inside info.

Driftwood likes this.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I know when it reopens NWB will run asphalt part of the year and dirt part of the year. No plans for a NASCAR national series weekend, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted