1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Driving Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Tough drum assignment there ... :cool:

Songbird likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

As much as I thought it might be Jack White, it also sounded like something else.

Maybe the Black Keys. Possibly this. Not sure.

3. Songbird

A funny thing happened relating to that Black Keys video in the post above.

I hope at least one of you is thinking, Lemme guess the Black Keys came on the radio when he was driving today.

Yes! That's exactly what happened on the drive home from the gym. It's fucking funny.

[​IMG]

It's super fucking funny. Little things, yo.

On the way to the gym I saw a little gold Corvette. Shiny gold that shined in the sunshine.

[​IMG]

At a stoplight I saw a lonely boy in his golden years waiting for the green light.

[​IMG]

On the way home I saw a lonely boy in his middle years sitting on a shopping cart at the base of a slope on San Vicente.

[​IMG]

When I got home I saw the little gold Corvette again.

[​IMG]

I bet a real virile prince of a boy drives that golden toy.

4. Songbird

Every day I pick spiderwebs off the mirror and the next day they're back.

Noticed this fella while driving down Fairfax.

[​IMG]

Seconds later, Everlong came on the radio. It made me happy. It's my favorite Foo Fighters song forevermore.

I still Google Mic'd it to see what'd come up.

[​IMG]

Mia Morris? Really? Who's Mia Morris?

Mia Morris was 13 when she made this video.

Can only imagine she's only gotten 4 years tighter with her chops. She'll be 18 soon.

After the Foo Fighters grieve and decide to keep playing, maybe they ask Mia Morris to go on tour for 6 months and drum in the band.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Better yet, call Pierce.

Pierce Edge gets on stage with the Foo Fighters, again

"I've never had a repeat offender," lead singer Dave Grohl said.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  6. Songbird

Maybe that's their next project, a year on the road with Foo Fighters where a different drummer plays for a few cities before the next one sits in to play and so on.

Make it a #30Foo30.

7. Songbird

Went for a walk but there's a driving aspect to the post.

Stumbled upon a mental health situation by a banged-up car on Robertson.

[​IMG]

Before stumbling upon an atrocity of sights ...

[​IMG]

And then on Pico I saw someone taking selfies of themself.

One thing leads to another and Paluza let me photograph them ...

[​IMG]

Paluza is a singer with talent.

And then a bird showed showed me some tail ...

[​IMG]

Here are all of the photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KcYBuuEPzoNK2oMd8

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Paluza is gorgeous and I would take selfies of myself all the time if I possessed that kind of beauty.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Washington state sets "a goal" — because a mandate wouldn't pass legal muster, even if that's the objective — of banning the sale of new gas-powered cars by 2030.
    Currently, less than eight years away from their target, 1.3 percent of cars in Washington are electric. No mention of upgrading an already-stressed electrical grid to handle the massive extra load.

WA sets 2030 goal to phase out gas cars

Azrael likes this.
  10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A couple things:

1. The transportation bill mentioned in the ST story you linked states a goal of stopping the SALE of new gas-powered vehicles by 2030. Not that it will happen, but that’s what some lefty state legislators snuck into the $17B transportation funding bill.

2. I and many other greenies would be down with this (and things like putting solar panels on my roof) if they weren’t so expensive. Both save you money in fuel costs and electricity bills (presuming you live on the sunny side of the state), but the up-front costs are too prohibitive for anyone not making six-figures a year. I’m not close to that.

Azrael and Batman like this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I did realize Point 1 a minute after I posted it, and edited it. Good catch.
    And Point 2 is, well, on point. The advocates for this keep suggesting, "Just buy an electric car and you'll save $200 a month (or whatever) on gas," without mentioning you'd also pick up an extra couple hundred on your car payment that cancels it out. Plus you have to install a charger and upgrade your outlets if you plan on charging at home with any sort of speed. That's another couple thousand dollars on top of the price of the car.
    Other green energy items are just as expensive. Solar panels supposedly pay for themselves — in 10 or 12 years, maybe, by which time they're outdated or inefficient and need to be replaced.
    There's also the issue of electrical generation that I mentioned. The wall outlet is not a magic box. The electricity has to come from somewhere.

Azrael and I Should Coco like this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How new rebates could spur widespread adoption of electric vehicles in Washington state

Thanks to its hydroelectric dams, the state has some of the cheapest, greenest electricity in the country. At the same time, Washington’s gas prices are among the nation’s highest. The region’s largely mild climate is a plus for EV performance: extreme cold can reduce an EV’s range and high temperatures can shorten a battery’s life over time.

“Washington is the best place in the country to own an EV,” Case said.

I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted