1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Stumbled on a show on Apple TV called Severance. Trippy sci-fi dystopian thing about scrubbing memories via brain implants and harsh behavior modification. Employees at the Scientology-like plant don't remember their personal lives while at work, and don't remember what kind of work they do while at home. Dastardly deeds and manipulation by those in charge ensure that re-integration never occurs. Adam Scott. Patty Arquette, John Turturro, Christopher Walken, Tramell Tillman, Britt Lower are some of the main players. Ben Stiller directed the first 3 episodes. It's a strange combination of Midsommar meets X Files meets Willy Wonka meets Brave New World. I don't really get what they're selling but the production value is off the charts so I'll finish it. Scott has one of the most unique faces I've ever seen in TV. Turturro is award-worthy. He and Walken develop a special relationship as seen in the screenshot. I'd like to see Tillman lead a very serious movie along the lines of Kramer vs. Kramer. His presence in this show oozes intensity and he's very good in this role.

[​IMG]

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Caught up on Atlanta, and holy shit, was that party episode an incredible one. Really think this is the best show on television right now.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Super Pumped" is very good. Kyle Chandler is great in everything he appears in.

Just recognized yesterday that the actor who plays Travis's dad was Clint Eastwood's younger son in "Gran Torino."

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I still watch but not with the anticipation when it first started (would make sure to watch Sunday night, now ... basically when I can get to it). Plot armor became a big issue, IMO. This season has been kind of a slog - they almost are turning into a procedural. It's a bit odd. Anyway, regardless, not sure how much Kirkman is involved any more. I also will watch that Talking Dead after show and he hasn't been on there forever.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe it was just wishful thinking on my part. It would be great if one of the announced spin-offs turned out to be misdirection and they actually killed off one or both of the characters involved.

They used to take storylines from the comic, but have them happen to other characters. Imagine if they gave Rick's ending to Daryl and Carl's ending to Judith. That would be great, but I don't know if they have the nerve to do it.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Stop watching whatever is in your queue and watch Slow Horses on Apple TV

Gary Oldman as the derelict boss of MI-5’s island of misfit toys has one I-didn’t-see-that-coming scene after another two episodes in.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    garrow likes this.
  9. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

It is a slog. I'm going to finish it because I've loved it for so long but it is a shadow of the show it used to be.

lakefront likes this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Severance is popular on the socials especially the Waffle Party.

Quite the scene.

Still not all that sure what's happening but it's a fantastic experience.

[​IMG]

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Watching The Drew Barrymore Show.

This might be the worst thing on TV… ever.

spikechiquet likes this.
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted