1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I think enough of them do understand it, and that's what they'd prefer. She'd give them even more reason to unleash their angst and hatred and sense of grievance, which is the only thing that motivates them. And in short order, Fox News would tell them something that might actually be true: that she hasn't established enough of a brand to resonate with voters and wasn't in the Senate long enough to forge alliances that matter. Trumpists would threaten violence at all of her rallies and at the polls on Election Day.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They'd move to impeach her instantly after she took office.

Assuming this all took place after next January (when the Red Tsunami presumably flips the Senate to red), the MAGGAT plan presumes that with Biden gone and Harris then elevated to POTUS, the office of VP (aka President of the Senate) vacated, the newly elected Senate would then elect a new President Pro Tempore, presumably Grassley, who would then be responsible for tabulating and reporting all votes on all matters conducted by the Senate.

At that point impeachment proceedings would be instantly initiated against Harris for undetermined "high crimes and misdemeanors," and rocket through the new majority House. Probably on a voice vote certified by new Speaker Fatfuck.

The Senate would dispense with the superfluous hearings and proceed directly to the vote. The Senate would opt for paper ballots in closed session.

The President Pro Tempore would then gather the ballots and announce that according to his tabulation, sufficient votes had been cast for conviction and removal.

There is no constitutional provision for recount, appeal or challenge of a President Pro Tempore's certification of a Senate vote; whatever public statements Senators might make as to their votes would be irrelevant.

If 65 Senators stated in public they had voted for acquittal, the PPT could still say that according to his count the vote was 70-30 for conviction. There is no mechanism for anyone to say, "prove it."

It was assumed by the Framers no PPT would ever go so far as to boldly lie about such a thing, so undoubtedly the issue would come down to a decision by the .... Supreme Court.

The legal arguments would boil down to:
    R: "The final vote of the Senate is whatever the President of the Senate, or in the case of vacancy of that office, the President Pro Tempore, affirms it to be."
    D: "You've got to be fucking kidding me."

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

A right-wing uncle blighted our Easter dinner by ranting about VP Harris wanting to destroy VA hospitals. Naturally, I hadn't heard that one and was suspicious. So I did a quick Google search. And

Fact check: Kamala Harris quote about shutting down Veterans Affairs originated from satire website

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It’s a good thing you don’t teach civics

Driftwood and Mngwa like this.
  5. Starman

Yes, the MAGGAT party would never do such a thing because it would be reckless, irresponsible and illegal.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Come on, Star. We've had a couple of impeachments lately, and we know how they go. Getting the two-thirds majority of the Senate needed to convict is impossible. Far more likely is that a Republican House majority simply refuses to even fund the government on a temporary basis, then refuses to raise the debt limit. That's plenty bad enough without these fever dream scenarios.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

No sane party would ever do what Starman suggests. That leaves the Republicans.

wicked, HanSenSE and Fred siegle like this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

wicked likes this.
  10. Starman

Getting the two-thirds majority is not impossible if the office of Vice President, and thus President of the Senate, is vacant, and control of the Senate flips, so the president pro tempore, ie the acting president of the senate, is elected by the GOP (therefore Grassley)

At that point the final result of any Senate proceeding becomes "whatever the President Pro Tenpore attests it to be."

It doesn't matter if 96 Senators call press conferences and announce publicly, "I voted for acquittal," the President Pro Tenpore can attest, "I counted the votes myself in the chambers of the US Senate and I came up with 70 to convict."

There is no provision for anybody to say to the President Pro Tempore, "you're a fucking liar," because the Framers assumed we would never be in a position where the PPT was, well, a fucking liar.

Ultimately it would come down to a decision by the Supreme Court. Game over.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Even they need it to look legitimate and nowhere in that fever dream scenario would any of the institutions in place to stop just such a thing go along with it. SCOTUS would vote 9-0 to stop the proceedings. The generals—who answer to the president—would never go along with it because it would be treason. The MAGA acolytes know that. Everything they do would be on this side of legal to undermine Harris at every step. Even if Dumb and Dumbert try that, the rest of the Republicans will drag their feet.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I saw Ilhan Omar trending on Twitter and clicked through to see what it was this time. She saw the same video we had posted here and were making fun of, and wondered...

What do you think would happen if a dozen Moslems on a plane got up and started praying and singing? My money is on stopping at the nearest airport and having them removed.

Draft saved Draft deleted