1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marlins to sports writers: Pay $3 for some pop

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Apr 15, 2022.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

First of all there isn't an arena/stadium that I know of that still takes cash and they haven't since COVID...so was this person running their debit card each time?

Also where is the media drink machine located. It's in the press box where I am at, so if someone is charging he is in full sight.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I can never remember the exact phrase from @Starman (something to do with malodorous swill?) but back when free press box hot dogs were a thing, I used to take pictures and send them to SJers I know in real life. We all knew exactly why I was sending those pics. :D

This reminds me that MLB had to send out a reminder to teams that they couldn't charge for the shitty postseason box lunches because the Mets tried doing so in 1999 and/or 2000.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Soggy, saggy, splitting, floppy, flaccid tubes of rotting animal flesh floating languidly in a limpid bath of malodorous swill

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't care if sportswriters get free coke and/or hot dogs. But for a sports writer publically calling for a team to take disciplinary action against a press box employee for having the audacity to charge a similar price for drinks that fans pay shows an incredible lack of self-awareness. Barry Jackson makes himself out as a self-entitled jerk.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It was. Interviewed him years later when he was back at Belmont Hill for something, and he was delightful.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I'm surprised. I always heard he was an easy going guy.
    Supposedly, he refused to play for the 1960 Olympic team unless his brother made the team.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Can't argue that. Media chow should never be discussed publicly whether it's great, free, stale, no longer free, whatever. But by golly I'm glad we discuss it around here.

My Dad has been gone for a few years now but when I'd call him after an event he'd always, always ask first "what did they feed ya?" When I was a jackass in my 20s I'd sigh and say something like "Dad it's not about the food" but later I learned to lean into it. "Well, they had fairly mediocre hot dogs but the spicy mustard really saved them. Plus some good cookies that had to be homemade." I miss those chats.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
    Liut, dixiehack, TexasVet and 9 others like this.
  8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I was covering a Virginia Tech game on the road, one of those Thursday specials that made for miserable deadlines. Ate pretty well before the game. Just before kickoff, I get a text from my son. "Prime rib huh?" What?? "The media meal, you guys got prime rib!" Uh, no, we didn't. It was a good meal. It was NOT prime rib. "Well, the TV guys are talking about their prime rib." Yeah, the TV crew got a much nicer meal than we did and talked about it - but for all I know, the TV station paid for it. Or maybe not.

SFIND, garrow and playthrough like this.
  9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

When UALR played at the old Barton Coliseum, the media meal was often (always? I’m not sure) hot dogs that had been heated in a big coffee urn filled with water. They were known as coffee pot dogs. Writers and SIDS talked about them for years.

Liut likes this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Covered D-3 hoops one time where the beverages offered were Dr. Bob and other knockoffs. They all taste the same...

TexasVet and PaperClip529 like this.
  11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I always believed this as well. When Arrowhead was charging $20-25 for fans to park, oh, 25 years ago, I kept my mouth shut on the absolutely incredible FREE BBQ that I'd eat in the press box at 11 am, before the kickoff.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Exceptions made for those Montreal hockey hot dogs?

Draft saved Draft deleted