1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marlins to sports writers: Pay $3 for some pop

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Was only on the Tech beat (post college) for a short time. I do remember paying for something at Miami, where you essentially just bought from the same places that the people on the suite level bought from. Most other places were free and I burned the roof of my mouth pretty good on that Boston College clam chowder. This all may have changed since then.

I learned never to rely on the food on the road covering Big South games. Always expensed something beforehand. Strangely, one of my favorite press box meals were the burritos they served at halftime of Arizona Cardinals games when they still played at Sun Devil Stadium. They were super simple but strangely delicious. Diamondbacks charged $10 in those days, but as has been mentioned, that $10 got you food and drink all game long and could be expensed for far less than you would have expensed had you gone to a restaurant beforehand. That wasn't really feasible for baseball anyway. I'd get to the ballpark at 2:30 or 3 for a 7:05 first pitch and wouldn't leave until close to midnight most nights.

It's been seven years since I've covered anything in the regular sports world, though, so I have no idea how everything has evolved, especially post COVID.

2. Sorry Happy Curmudgeon, Outback Bowl is not the best. Nothing, nothing can top The Masters, the grab n go has coffee and bagels and doughnuts in the morn, soft drinks, in the afternoon they have the famous pimento cheese sandwiches, chicken salad wraps, apples, carrots, fruit of all kinds, the BBQ beef sandwiches and THE best brownies and cookies There is a ton of other things. After each practice round and tourney day they have beer for the press. OH and next to the grab and go is a full restaurant where you can sit down with a fresh breakfast buffet and then a lunch buffet. Each day features new items on the buffet. What's great about the restaurant too, is the official at the podium in the back of the restaurant who updates the scoreboard by hand. It is beyond world-class at what you get there. After the tournament - on Sunday - is an outstanding press party.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was there for the first time this year and the veteran sitting next to me in the press center said they'd be making an announcement Sunday night that "the bar is open." And they did, at 8 p.m. sharp. They announced "the bar is closed" at 8:50 p.m. Just making sure no one had too much fun, I guess.

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

You never read Joe Falls, I take it

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Lawrence was the best. Still heartbroken.

HanSenSE and MileHigh like this.
  6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Never understood the big deal over the Montreal hot dogs. They were OK. Among the best food I think I ever had in a press box was the new Yankee Stadium, for something like $13. And I remember being shocked when I had to pay something like $1.50 for a bottle of water at a Sabres game at the Nassau Coliseum.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, Joe loved to write about food. I remember seeing him at an event once where he wrote about the poor food and later in the week they trotted out some beef stroganoff especially for him ... served in a ritzy silver bowl on a silver tray. And he ate it up literally and figuratively.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Who was the old-timer stringer for the Sporting News or whatever who dominated the press box buffet? There was a thread about him years ago.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

When you've covered high school football, you learn quickly where to get a good spread and where you need to hit the local DQ pregame.

TexasVet and SFIND like this.
  10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Led Grobstein?

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I’ve only seen one high school that had any sort of food in the press box (pizza).

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, don’t buy a hot dog at the high school football game snack stand … [/oldSJcomthreads]

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted