1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marlins to sports writers: Pay $3 for some pop

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Apr 15, 2022.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Norm MacLean?

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

When I some covered Ohio State games, when it was a noon start, TV people were usually finishing up breakfast when I arrived. IIRC, they had signs up that the breakfast food was just for the TV workers, but I think it was a common occurrence other media tried to eat it, and if caught were scolded.

Rest assured, I never ate their food, because the regular catering they had was more thansufficient. The university always catered itself with a few options on the buffet, but in addition to that, a local barbecue chain had its separate area with food, and McDonald's had a separate area and gave out deserts, and for a long time, McFlurry's in particular.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I've seen it all at high schools, from spreads that dwarfed D-I universities to hot dogs from the concession stands to nothing.

I haven't eaten any press box food since the pandemic, and likely never will again. I've taken to standing on the sidelines, even for games I don't shoot myself.

TexasVet likes this.
  4. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

Norm MacLean was the absolute worst moocher who ever invaded a press box. In addition to glomming on to any media guides that weren't nailed down so he could sell them, MacLean never left a press-box spread without filling his pockets, briefcase, etc. He was also notorious for sleeping in the media lounge at events like the Stanley Cup final to save on a hotel. And yes, he did fly to Edmonton (IIRC) via FedEx. He was a stringer for something called Sports Press Services, which was allegedly a collection of small newspapers. There is more than one thread on here about him.
    The best line I ever heard about him came one night when a group of New York writers was playing shinny. During a break someone realized that not one New York pro team was playing that night. Said someone else: "Somewhere, Norm MacLean is going hungry tonight."

Slacker and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  5. BitterYoungMatador2

There was another Norm, Norman Vargo of the “still dead” McKeesport Daily News, who was apparently notorious for going to Steelers training camp and filling a bag with lobster tails, which were served on the opening day of camp. When another writer asked him once just what in the hell he was doing, Vargo shrugged, “they’re good cold”

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I remember MacLean in the bar at a Detroit hotel before the All-Star game (1980, first event at Joe Louis Arena). The place was filled with well-dressed hockey stars, yet MacLean was hitting on every girl in the place ... and, of course, dancing by himself after being turned down.
    There was a guy in L.A. -- Dodger Stadium -- who ate twice every night. He was always the first one there, and then he lingered to be able to eat again just before the game started. He stayed a few innings, then left. Never wrote a word about the team. I bet he put in for mileage at his office, too.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

HanSenSE, 2muchcoffeeman and SixToe like this.
  8. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

No names here, but there's a guy who covers the Browns (and has for three-plus decades) who would use his company's staff pass for Indians games at old Cleveland Stadium, which had an awsome free ingame spread for the six or seven people who covered the team. They guy would roll into the box, fill up a few trays with dogs, burgers, nachos, etc., and grab a few drinks and then feed his family. He got caught once and if not for the reputation of his paper's Tribe beat guy, along with the good nature of former Indians media relations guy John Maroon, and that fact that at the time the team had stunk for most of 40 years and needed all the coverage it could get, his entire paper may have lost credentials.

On a related note, the first time I covered a game there, I accompanied a co-worker, who showed me the ropes. Bob Feller sat in the back row of the press box, munching away at the free food, which he did almost nightly. He asked where we were from. We told him ("Name of Small Paper") and he said, "A couple of freeloaders, eh?" Coming from the ultimate freeloader, we took that as a great compliment.

PaperDoll likes this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yes, thank you. And thanks to whoever posted the link to that old thread.

Edit: I see that you did. That’s what I get for skimming.

Edit II: Just dove into that thread and damn… reads like a who’s-who of SJ characters. The back door was the good door, etc.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  10. BitterYoungMatador2

I laughed out loud at Back Door Bob.

MileHigh likes this.
  11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The various trolls today (that I've used the button on) are pikers compared to Boots.

He had more locks than Yale.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

"My name is not bob. It is boots."

Draft saved Draft deleted