1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 college basketball coaching carousel of progress

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 26, 2022.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Wow - hell of a jump for him, if that happens. And yet another setback for Fordham, which looked like it had finally landed a decent coach.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For whatever reason, i don't think NIL is as much of a deal with college hoops - the top players have been experiencing that world for five years or more playing AAU, travelling to Vegas for tournaments and getting free shoes. I figure most top high school players go to a school that has a deal with whatever shoe company sponsored their AAU team, the shoe company cuts them a check wherever they go. Plus, other than shoes, the most NIL worthy players will be gone from a college community six months after setting foot on campus for the NBA and have most of their time occupied by hoops and school. Not to mention that nobody thinks of college hoops until after football winds down, shortening the window even more.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Tough act to follow. But if you have a career coaching record of 16-16 and you have a chance at a gig like this, you take your paychecks and take your lumps and know that in four years, you’ve set for life financially if you’re halfway smart.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And suddenly, only two active men’s basketball coaches have won multiple national titles. Self and Pitino, who had one vacated.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This is what I get for trying to focus on other stuff. Did not see this one coming.

Apologies for the callousness, but are we sure that Jay Wright and his family are OK clinically? Hope this is just the cynical sports journalist thinking. He has money, titles and all the respect anyone could hope for. That should be enough. But, with so many people, there's never enough of those things and they stay continuing to chase the carrot inches out of their reach.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I imagine with a lot of coaches, you love it, are willing to make the sacrifices needed to advance in the career (and realize your family is also making the sacrifices), some I'm guessing get to a point where they've had success and realize they've achieved what they and others have sacrificed for. Jay Wright's net worth is listed at $7m, and he'll probably make more in media and enjoy a better lifestyle. Who knows, maybe these other coaches retiring and suddenly realizing how much more there is to life than a gym is starting to rub off on people?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

His net worth better be more than 7 mil, just since 2011 he's made 39.1 million in salary alone.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The main problem with Torres' position is that the reason the pros have more economic stability is that they've reached it through collective bargaining with players' unions. What would Saban or (especially) Dabo say to a nationwide union of college athletes? The power coaches could achieve stability, but only at the cost of loss of total power over working conditions, which would also have to be bargained collectively.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yep, there is no point to getting attached to any particular player. It's truly cheering for the laundry. You might get lucky and a guy will stay a year or two. But the days of a guy lingering on the bench for two years, waiting for his shot? Those are done. Instead of developing within a program, that guy is transferring for immediate playing time.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Villanova isn’t a bunch of broke dicks like my school. Their alumni have the money to compete with whomever in the northeast if they wanted to. I’m wondering the school administration told Jay they weren’t jumping in the NIL pool and he decided “fuck it. I’m out.”

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I would think that it would make sense for the shoe companies to cut out the schools and just sign up the players directly. I believe that would be a seismic change.

Draft saved Draft deleted