1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jonah Keri arrested for alleged spousal abuse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

This. Some here might remember the outrageous fawning Jim Gray did over Kobe after the rape allegations surfaced. "I know Kobe! That's not Kobe!" Dude, you know him in a Lakers jersey. The idea that he might treat someone without a national television presence differently had not occurred to Jim, who hopefully does not call himself a journalist.

SFIND likes this.
  2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Women have been saying this forever

3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I’m trying to find out if some of the 14 letter writers are media types.

The survivor did another interview yesterday on Montreal radio that I have yet to catch up with. It was on a show where Keri had likely been a guest 25 plus times over the years, and had a close relationship with the host.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Give them credit for putting her on.

O.J. says he doesn’t know what the big deal is about being so two-faced.

5. Tighthead

Yes, right from the start the host has been unequivocal and never tried to mangle some wishy washy opinion about supporting your friends.

Keri wrote a great book on the Expos, and was a huge factor in getting Raines to Cooperstown. He was kind of the media flag bearer for our strange little corner of fandom, but I haven’t really seen anyone try to support him.

6. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I always believed the feuds he would have with Mad Dog were fake. That suspicion now seems confirmed.
    It was the usual stat nerd vs. old-school baseball guy square dance - the Gerry Rafferty of sports debates.
    Keri had many different paying gigs. He torpedoed his life.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Raines getting into the HoF was surprising. Someone posted here years ago that his problems helped destroy a championship-calibre Montreal team.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That’s some serious bullshit. Ball player in the 80’s doing coke killed their team. The Mets laugh at this.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Keith Hernandez doubly laughs.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Why is she doing so much media?

11. Tighthead

She’s done two interviews since his recent sentencing. One on the CBC and one on Montreal radio, the city where she lives and works on behalf of other women who have endured spousal abuse.

In the interview I heard she said she thinks it’s important to tell her story to help raise awareness.

Can you break down why you think two interviews is “so much media” in the circumstances? Was one okay, but two is excesssive?

It sure sounds like you are accusing her of grandstanding or capitalizing on her situation, but perhaps you just struggle with tone.

It’s a very odd question and I can’t possibly fathom what prompted it.

12. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Why isn't she doing more media?

Draft saved Draft deleted