1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marlins to sports writers: Pay $3 for some pop

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Apr 15, 2022.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

This reminds me of covering HS football back in the 90s. There were like 8-10 schools in the general area including the city and nearby census-designated spots and you knew who were was good or bad by the spread. The worse the team, the better the in-game munchies. The best team in the area barely had a working water fountain. The worst of the bunch, it was a school in a high income area that dominated the country club sports and baseball but would get their asses stomped in football and basketball. One of their big boosters was a local businessman who owned a few restaurants and would cater all the games. Late in the season I'm getting people's choices for what they want to cover and my best stringer that I eventually hired full time once he graduated from college said he wanted this horrible school against an out-of-town cream puff. I asked why, because I needed him on a game that was going to decide a playoff berth. He said it's a chance to cover said school's first win in two seasons. I get that. But WHY? He stared at me for a second and goes..."I heard they are having Spud Shack cater the game tonight, and that steak and cheese stuffed potato is some of the best shit I've ever eaten."

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    TexasVet, dixiehack, garrow and 9 others like this.
  2. busch

busch Member

Covered a football game at UTEP. Didn't do this often but showed up really hungry. Noticed they had pizzas and several other things out but weren't letting anyone eat. Asked a lady if I could get something but was told they didn't start serving until the homemade food showed up. About 10 minutes later, they brought in two or three carts filled with food. Amazing food.

garrow and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  3. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Well-Known Member

So… did you let him go?

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  4. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

A few years ago, I was covering the BBVA Compass Bowl at Legion Field in Birmingham. I rhetorically asked the guy next to me, "Are these hot dog rolls crunchy because they're toasted or because they're stale?"

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

One time I covered a breakfast for donors of Nebraska football where coaches would come to talk. This event happened every week and could be anyone from the head coach to a grad assistant. Well attended every time and the donors soaked it all up.

I was young, but not inexperienced, and not sure what I was thinking but I grabbed a plate. I guess I was conditioned that we got that food! Also, I am almost certain one of my editors told me to as a perk for covering the god awful, crack of dawn event. One of the organizers ripped me a new one, even after telling him why I was there. I didn't really know how to respond. It was just crappy hotel food too. Opened my eyes to that stuff, although I am sure if name beat writer was there they'd yuck it up with him.

Later my editor asked how breakfast was before anything. I just said it was good or whatever. I covered that stupid thing a few more times and always timed it to not even worry about the food (probably not a bad thing). With the state of that program now, I wonder if they even still do crap events like that and if people even go? I would definitely assume they aren't covered by the media much any more.

6. busch

busch Member

I know the answer that one. Obviously, so do you.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    Woody Long likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

There was a local football coach (had already retired from teaching) who insisted on taking the weekly sports editor out to breakfast every Tuesday. He had been coaching forever. I'm sure he had the cash. I almost never ordered anything other than a juice or Diet Coke, because I felt weird about it. Not sure if I'd look at it differently now.

8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I ended up covering the game I wanted him to cover. In return brought me back some of Spud Shack's amazing poppers that were stuffed with mozzarella and bacon. Those things were dangerous

2muchcoffeeman and PaperClip529 like this.
  9. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Because they're left over from when Alabama still played there regularly?

SixToe and Woody Long like this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Weathervane is seriously underrated. I made sure to hit the one in Dover multiple times while covering Loudon.

motorsportwriter likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Legion Field still has rusted chemical drums sitting on bare ground next to the ramps underneath the stands; probably filled with God knows what substances that were banned a half-century ago. Never eat anything from that stadium that isn’t pre-packaged.

12. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

The same season (hell, probably within three days of each other, but I'm too lazy to look up the dates) I covered the Independence Bowl in Shreveport. It was raining outside, and because it was raining outside, it was also raining inside the press box, where the roof was mostly functional, but porous in some places. That said, compared to Legion Field, the Independence Bowl looked like a palace.

Draft saved Draft deleted