1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Truth be told I actually called in and let the news desk know I might be filing something considerably different from a run-of-the-mill sporting event lead. I remember watching those EMS guys going up into the stands and thinking, "Oh shit, I didn't sign on for this."

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be the first time I've crossed state lines with untaxed refreshments in a bottle.

maumann and playthrough like this.
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Going in the opposite direction ... as an Atlanta kid, I would drink Barq's Red Creme soda when visiting relatives in the midwest and thought it was heaven in a bottle. But it wasn't available at home. Fast forward to today as I live in the midwest, I don't buy it because I don't drink fully leaded soda anymore but just seeing it reminds me of being at grandma's house. The diet version was discontinued long ago, unfortunately.

maumann likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

SunDrop - the regular version - was usually in the refrigerator of my favorite great-aunt and uncle. I know where to get it, but I dunno if the Snowman has unloaded all that Coors yet so he can bootleg your request.

I just found a place that stocked some RC. Sneaky good little treasure.

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You’re my boy and all, but we’ve got to talk about this nonsense.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It took me a few years down here to realize why everybody always asked if you wanted a Coke, and never offered a root beer or a Pepsi or a Mountain Dew.

dixiehack, maumann and Driftwood like this.
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

It's real fun when somebody asks if you want a "RC co-cola."

playthrough, Batman and maumann like this.
  10. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

maumann and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Standing by a cooler of various mixed soft drinks: "What kinda Coke you want?"

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I wish them well, but I'm skeptical as hell. Nostalgia only carries you so far. From the last time I snuck in there a decade ago, that place was in need of major repairs -- and even if the state is providing a good chunk of cash, there's a lot of infrastructure still lacking. SAFER barriers. Upgraded catch fences. Improved infield access for haulers. And that's just to run a race with no one there.

Obviously, if NASCAR can pour asphalt on the L.A. Coliseum and tear it up one week later, anything's possible. But even if you somehow acquire a national touring series date, what's your profit margin? If you could cram 30,000 heads in there at $100 per, that's $3 million, which sounds like a lot of money until you have to pay off your expenses and purse money. And you're not going to be able to charge $100 for ARCA or Late Models, let alone Trucks or Xfinity.

And what track's going to give up a lucrative (TV money) date so North Wilkesboro can profit from it? Shoot, take it from Fontana!

In addition, unless you can convince the folks at CMS to pull double-duty, you've got to somehow handle advertising, media, ticket sales, concessions, parking, security and on and on and on.

And then you've got to be able to make sure it's not just a one-trick pony. Will the demand still be there for a second race? Or a third? Like Rockingham, there are things that made North Wilkesboro obsolete in the first place, and attendance wasn't the main problem.

Dreams are nice. Reality is harsh.

playthrough, wicked and Driftwood like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted