1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just an opinion from an extremely casual follower of NASCAR (will watch during basketball playoff commercial breaks). The parts of this thread where posters talked about how little one could watch of a race at Talladega was to me a most telling example of why this sport is in trouble plenty. You all are by definition highly invested in NASCAR as reporters, former reporters and fans. You know a great deal about the sport and the organization. And yet, some of you devotees admit there's no need to sit through one of the biggest races on the calendar (and by extension the other restrictor plate races, which includes the very biggest race on the calendar). If that's how you feel, then more casual fans are probably thinking "I'll just catch the finish and/or big wrecks on the Internet later."

maumann likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I would think office-type race day staffing would be the least of the concerns. Pull in people from Bristol and Charlotte. I haven't been to either place in a decade, but I know back then, it wasn't uncommon to see some based at one track working a race weekend at the other.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  3. Driftwood

NASCAR did that to themselves with crate cars that are too reliable, contrived finishes, preplanned cautions, and the Chase making all but the last few races meaningless once you are in.

maumann likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The reliability is an excellent point that isn't mentioned often. "He done blowed up!" is barely heard anymore. That's a turnoff to older fans in all motorsports who appreciated man vs. machine.

dixiehack, maumann and Driftwood like this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Final stage is too long.

6. playthrough

If your all-star event requires a graphic, it's too complicated. But the best part is the lower-right corner: "If no 'Natural' caution occurs between laps 15-25 of the final stage, Nascar will call an 'All-Star' competition caution."

'Natural' caution LOLOLOL

wicked and Driftwood like this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The Monster Mile's other Cup date in limbo? It was behind a USA Today paywall, but NASCAR has a history of feeding stories to them (especially when they had big ad buys).

Maybe that's where the North Wilkesboro date comes from at some future point.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    Driftwood likes this.
  8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

NASCAR and Gannett are made for one another.

Baron Scicluna and maumann like this.
  9. playthrough

Those USA Today content buys back in the day were amazing. If you didn't know better you'd think that Nascar, IndyCar and NHRA were the three most popular sports in America.

maumann likes this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Trading Dover for North Wilkesboro is like trading in a yacht for a nice fishing trawler. You might like both, but it’s plain stupid.

I guess it’s more about what Marcus Smith wants than Daytona wants. He’s already said he doesn’t see anything beyond maybe a truck series race there. He also said the track likely wouldn’t reopen, so …

maumann likes this.
  11. Driftwood

I probably as big a Wilkesboro nostalgia honk as anyone, and even I don't see it being a good move to try to bring a Cup date there. You'd have to tear the place down and start over, and then it wouldn't be the same track.

maumann and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Was it the sponsors making the buys or the sanctioning bodies?

I really wish there were a racing equivalent of Camden Yards. The Nashville Fairgrounds renderings made it look like it could be that, but renderings.

Draft saved Draft deleted